We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta to Asheville need airport between the two

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
92 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Atlanta to Asheville need airport between the two

My husband and I are traveling to Asheville following a business trip to Atlanta. We need an airport in the middles of the two. I’m thinking our best bet will be the Greenville/Greer Airport, but would like advice from insiders if this is correct.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlanta to Asheville need airport between the two

Do you mean a general aviation airport or an airport with scheduled commercial passenger service?

It also might help if you clarified your plans a bit -- not clear on what an airport between the two buys you or how that fits into your plans.

Greenville/Spartanburg (GSP) is really the only one that's in any sense *between* them that offers scheduled passenger service, but it's not really on the way between the two even if you do go through Greenville (which we never do anymore, preferring the I-985/US 441/US 23/US 74/I-40 route up through Gainesville, Clayton, Franklin, and Waynesboro).

If you're looking for GA airports, the Habersham County Airport in Cornelia, Letourneau Field in Toccoa, and the Blairsville airport are much more directly "between" Atlanta and Asheville. There's also an airport in Gainesville, but that's only about 1/3 of the way from Atlanta to Asheville. I believe the runways are all ~5000 ft. There are also airports in Franklin, Sylva, and Brevard that might qualify (though Brevard's pretty close to Asheville, so you might not consider it "between").

Carolinas, USA
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlanta to Asheville need airport between the two

Greenville/Greer is a posibility, but so is the Asheville Airport. Check out asheville-mountain-magic.com/asheville-airpo… for help in choosing.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlanta to Asheville need airport between the two

There is only about a 45 minute drive from Greenville to AVL and the overall drive from ATL to AVL is approx 4 - 4 1/2 hours. Obviously not knowing your whole itinerary etc... I would suggest just driving up or hopping on a quick flight from ATL to AVL. You would need to go out of your way to go through Greenville. It would be quicker to just go to AVL.

4. Re: Atlanta to Asheville need airport between the two

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 07:20