We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy hikes

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
44 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Easy hikes

I'm looking for some fairly easy hikes in the Asheville area. I'd prefer to get as secluded as possible but with my bad back and knees, can't do real steep descents or anything real challenging to my coordination. It can be several miles long, but fairly easy terrain. In fact, I'd like to find possibilities that aren't little short, paved nature trails.

We'll be going in two weeks. Will the foliage be past peak in the mountains? If so, are there hikes at parks at lower altitudes? We will be staying about half way between Chimney Rock and Asheville and would be willing to drive up to one hour each way.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy hikes

Of course the easier hikes usually have the most people, so if possible your best bet would be to go on week days not weekends. Here are a few hikes I've had luck with; I've got bad knees, too.

www.romanticasheville.com/linville_falls.htm (there are parts here I can't manage; read about the trails, and you should be able to figure out what's doable for you. I usually just find a nice spot to sit while my family continues on for a while.)

Here's a link with a fall color forecaster; give it a try. visitnc.com/journeys/articles/fall-color-l-f…

Best Wishes!

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy hikes

Dupont Forest is my favorite. I love the waterfalls!

North Carolina
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy hikes

Dupont Forest is great and offers an amazing number of hikes (our family has hiked 60 of the 92 listed in the Dupont map). So there are many, many skill levels available. However, Dupont might be a bit out of the way coming from Asheville.

I would recommend the Arboretum, (it is off Hwy. 191 and the Blue Ridge Parkway). There are many hikes there, some quite gentle. One trail takes you to Lake Powhatan, but the descent might be a bit much. The trails that meander among the many varieties of plants, trees, flowers, etc. are really wonderful. Even though I've been there many, many times over the years, I am always impressed anew with the surroundings.

4. Re: Easy hikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2010, 05:16