We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asheville girls trip

cape cod
Level Contributor
186 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Asheville girls trip

Hi, We are a bunch of women going to Asheville for just a quick girls trip, only 2 days. One of those days we will go to the Biltmore. How long does that take to get an overall view of the place?

Ugh, I hate to say we are "older" but lets put it this way we have kids in college and some have kids that are out of college already! Yikes! We were best friends back in high school and take an annual trip together.

This trip is a quick one so what else would you recommend that we do? We are staying at the Indigo, we were booked at some inn that had a fire or some such and went out of business.

We like nice boutique shopping, we like walking, galleries, and museums. We need some meal suggestions too. We all love good food and wine. Price isn't really an issue but really excellent food is.

Any help you can give us would be great! Many thanks!

Susan

Red Lion, PA
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asheville girls trip

Susan, You didn't mention what time of year you are going to Asheville. We just returned from the Biltmore Estate, Christmas Candlelight tour is very nice. If you are going before spring your time on the estate will probably be shorter due to the gardens not having much to offer. I think you can spend a whole day on the estate, seeing the house, shopping, taking the wine tasting tour, and also shopping at the winery. I do recommend the Bistro restaurant at the winery on the estate. If you are going to be on the estate before christmas, you can also have dinner at the Stable Cafe before touring the house at night. Reservations are the only way to go for either restaurant. Across from the estate is the Biltmore Village, nice area of small shops to visit. Hope you all have an awesome trip!

cape cod
Level Contributor
186 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Asheville girls trip

Sorry I thought I said... we are going next weekend! Other then the Biltmore what are some of the good places to eat in Asheville?

Susan

Edited: 29 November 2009, 20:16
Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asheville girls trip

You are arriving in the busiest time of the year for the Biltmore House! You could, in theory, spend all day on the estate and still miss a lot of it, but because this is such a crowded time, I recommend buying your tickets online NOW and get an admission time as early as possible in the AM or wait until late afternoon, as many folks are leaving, for a candlight tour, complete with wandering minstrels and very good musicians and choral groups.

There is some very good "traditional" shopping, small pricey shops and a few great craft and artisan galleries, in Biltmore Village near the entrance to the Biltmore Estate. Shopping downtown is endless variety, from earth-mother to one-of-a-kind couture, mixed in with art galleries, an old-time dry goods store, pre-owned, etc. Sort of the "anti-mall".

There are many, many great places to eat, in Asheville. Limones, Fig and Rezaz are well-reviewed, all very different for the other. If I was visiting for a weekend, I would skip the traditional sit down meal one night, preferably Saturday, and do a 'progressive' meal downtown, stopping at one or more brew-pubs for hand-crafted beers, pub appetizers and live music, tapas at Zambras, coffee and book browsing at Malaprops, in between stops at many small shops and galleries, European-style drinking chocolate in endless flavors at French Broad Chocolate Bar, sit in on a set of jazz over martinis at Tressa's,a set of blues at Stella Blue, end up at Tupelo Honey Cafe at 1 AM for breakfast! Its all within 10 blocks.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
18 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Asheville girls trip

I just returned from a weeklong trip to Asheville - my first visit. We (me, age 45 & hubby, age 63 & Mom, age 78) went to Biltmore for the Christmas decor. We got a 9 am entry to the house (we opted not to do the Candlelit tour in the evening as we wanted to have the full day to explore - the Candle lit tour tickets do not permit you entry to the house during the day unless you pay extra). We went on a Mon & Tues so even though it's the holiday season, it wasn't as crowded as it will be on a weekend. It took us about 3 hours to get through the house with the audio tour - but as I said, it wasn't super crowded - it got busier later in the morning with groups. I highly recommend getting the Audio tour - I usually skip those things but was advised to get it and we were NOT disappointed. We learned so much more about the house. We also paid extra and did both the Rooftop tour and the Behind the Scenes tour and thoroughly enjoyed both and learned even more from our guides.

There isn't much to see in the gardens now, but the Conservatory is nice. The winery will only take you a short time, and unless you just love wine and want to do the tasting you could probably skip it entirely. The farm area is more for kids, but the blacksmith demonstration was interesting. We did the house , rooftop tour& conservatory the first day and went back the 2nd day (on a 2 day pass) and revisited the house, did the Behind Scenes tour and went the the winery & farm and were out by early afternoon.

There are lots of great shops in downtown for you to stroll and enjoy.

If you have transportation and a GPS for directions - go find The Admiral Restaurant on Haywood St. The food was AWESOME (though you wouldn't suspect it from looking at the building (converted gas station). We also ate at Bouchon and Zambra and found the food to be very good. Everyone on Chowhound raves about The Admiral and also Tupelo Honey (they were closed for Thanksgiving week so we couldn't go there). All of the places I mentioned except Admiral are downtown (vicinity of Lexington Ave. Mela Indian Restaurant (downtown) and Fig Bistro (Biltmore Village) are also well recommended.

Definately go to the French Broad Chocolate Lounge (downtown near Pack Place) for some delicious Hot Cocoa in the evening - they are open late on weekends. Also stop in at Chocolate Fetish for some wonderful truffles and other chocolate treats. You can google the websites for all of the places I mentioned (except Admiral- they are only on MySpace).

enjoy your trip - I'm sorry that you will only have 2 days, we had a whole week and it wasn't enough, so we are going back in April for the Biltmore gardens and to find more waterfalls in Brevard.

5. Re: Asheville girls trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2010, 06:19