We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing Guides

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
557 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing Guides

Can anyone recommend a good fishing guide in Asheville?

We will be there in May and I'd like to surprise my husband with a day of fishing for his 60th Birthday.

Thanks!

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing Guides

need a little more info. WNC flyfishing for trout is truly a passion..climbing through rhododendron thickets ,hiding behind boulders and short flip casts into tiny riffles and pools trying to catch the wariest trout you can imagine. Float fishing for smallmouth bass on the French Broad is an entirely different adventure, as is fishing for larger trout on Fontana or Santeelah or walleyes in Lake James.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
378 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing Guides

Cool wife! :) Try Curtis Wright Outfitters. There are 3 - Weaverville, Biltmore Village, and Saluda. Nice and knowledgeable of the area and fishing. Enjoy!

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
557 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing Guides

Thanks Purple Lady and Mangonboat!

I appreciate the suggestions. Here at home, he likes to fish for bass. I'm not sure how much he'd like fly fishing for a whole day.

Looking forward to seeing your beautiful area and sure my husband will enjoy fishing there!

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing Guides

You might try Davidson River Outfitters. It is on the banks of the beautiful Davidson River. Named one of the top 100 trout streams in the USA by Trout Unlimited. It is located near Brevard. Just a beautiful area around there.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing Guides

Even if he has not ever fly-fished I think that would be the way to go. It is relatively easy to get proficient enough to catch fish and it will still be delayed harvest ( catch and release ) so there will be plenty of fish. Both guides that were recommended are excellent.

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing Guides

Flyfishing on the Davidson is indeed superb, but if your hubby is an Illinois bass fisherman, that implies baitcasting from a boat, not wading in a mountain river. I think he'd really enjoy a day on Fontana, Santeelah or even Glenville Lake...they are all approximately 90 minutes west of Asheville, and you can fish with an expereinced guide for walleye, big rainbows and browns, smallmouth bass and even muskie . It is beautiful country and good fishing. I'd start looking with Smoky Mountain Outfitters, smokymountainoutdoorsunlimited.com/lake_fish…

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
557 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing Guides

Thank you all for so manyl suggestions!!

I 'fished' an answer out of my hubby about fly fishing in the Asheville area and he said he thought it would be fun. That may be the way to go. He also mentioned he'd like to 'wade' fish more than 'float' so I may book that kind of excursion.

I appreciate all your suggestions and may ask more as we get closer to our trip.

Thanks for your time!

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
557 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing Guides

Mangonboat,

I've 'hinted' about fly fishing to my husband and he seems quite interested.

I have 2 good suggestions from the other Advisors on this post.

I do have concerns with how far away Brevard(Davidson Outfitters) is from Asheville for an all day trip. I believe the other one is closer.

Any suggestions on this is appreciated. I just want to make this a very memorable birthday for him.

Thank you

Edited: 25 January 2010, 18:45
Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing Guides

The Davidson River is less than an hour from downtown Asheville. There are very good outfitters in Asheville, Waynesville and in Brevard. If your husband wants to try flyfishing, you simply cannot go wrong. Unlike the big rivers out West ( Montana, e.g.)...the Davidson river is narrow, easy to wade, is well-stocked, and casting is mostly about patience, not length. Fly fishing the Davidson is one of the perennial favorites for folks who are new to fishing, including women of all ages, and to experts alike.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fishing Guides

I couldn't agree more. I caught my first fish on a fly rod there and have since been to a number of destinations out west and can't say I have ever had a better experience.