We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Biltmore appropriate for kids?

chicagoland
Level Contributor
400 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Is Biltmore appropriate for kids?

We are staying in Greenvile Sc for a summer tournament...and many have suggested a trip to Asheville...but reviews seem to be about romance. Is this a good trip for kids 7, 9 and 10?

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Biltmore appropriate for kids?

It depends on the kid. I used to take 6th grade groups there and some loved it and others did not. I think young children would find it a grueling and perhaps boring tour but the size of the house and the furnishings usually get a few " oohs and ahhs". I would classify it generally as an adult attraction but mature kids like it.

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Biltmore appropriate for kids?

I think it depends a lot on your kids and your family's interests. I have 3 girls and each of them in turn was so disappointed to go to Disney World and discovery that the castle at the Magic Kingdom is nothing more than a facade. They are all crazy about Disney Princesses, having grown up in the Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, etc. era. So, for them Biltmore was/is VERY exciting, a real castle on a real estate, and all the history, old furnishings, the stone walls, the architecture, the gardens, all of it added to their delight. We used to go every year on New Years Day, when the estate was open, decorated to the nines for the Holidays, but hardly anybody was there. When we moved to Asheville we got season passes and would rarely visit the house except with out of town guests. We would picnic on the grounds, take walks at lunchtime, spend more time in the gardens. Now they are all in high school ,and college, and we mostly go only for the summer concert series.

If they were boys who ate, drank, lived and dreamed about baseball or football, they would be bored to tears.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Biltmore appropriate for kids?

I think it may too much of the same for kids that age. By that, I mean that touring a home that large, although it may have it's really fun things and amazing rooms, is really too much to keep the interest of children that age. As adults we can appreciate so much more of the history, great furnishings, etc. Now Asheville as a place to visit, would be great with kids those ages. There is tons to do and see with hiking, rock/mineral shops and lots of fun places to eat. The scenery is amazing, and you can drive the parkway which is really fun. There are gem mining places which they would probably like, too.

north carolina
Level Contributor
121 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Biltmore appropriate for kids?

Like the others, I think it depends on the kid. My niece and nephew LOVED it (8&10). My little cousin (10) did not. You probably won't be able to linger in the house for as long as an adult would like, but it's worth it. It's also a good history lesson- one of the first homes w/ electricity, 'central' heating and even lights in the pool! I found that a few well placed questions about 'what do you think it was like to..." or "how do you think they did without..." really helped. On the other hand, I've never met a child who didn't like the vast gardens and visiting the dairy. Depending on budget, you can do all sorts of other tours on the property like a float trip on the French Broad River on the property (very calm water), horse and carriage ride, and I think you can rent bikes. Even at the winery (in the spring/ summer) they have kids activities like grape stomping (think Lucy Ball) and grape juice tasting.

michigan
Level Contributor
91 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Biltmore appropriate for kids?

absolutely, my five-year old son loved it. We didn't buy him a headset ahead of time and ended up having to get one at the Biltmore because he could not get enough of the tour. Loved it but very pricey day. Make sure you have brunch at the Grove Park Inn, one of the truly great resorts in Asheville, worth every penny.

michigan
Level Contributor
350 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Biltmore appropriate for kids?

We took our kids but they were teens. They enjoyed it, we made a whole day of it with a tour of the winery, lunch at the vineyard restaurant, watched a cooking demo, visited the farm (they do have a petting area and a really cool blacksmith demo)

I might suggest a visit to the Grove Park Inn. We did not stay there but visited one afternoon. It has amazing views, cool to walk around and we saw a Gingerbread house display when we were there... maybe there will be something going on during your visit, check their website. We bought a drink and sat out on the balcony to enjoy the view.

Edited: 30 March 2010, 01:33
michigan
Level Contributor
350 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Biltmore appropriate for kids?

Should also have added that climbing Chimney Rock south of Asheville is pretty cool too and our kids did that when they were younger and really got into it. We "hiked" to the waterfall too where they filmed "Last of the Mohicans". Do a search on Chimney Rock.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Biltmore appropriate for kids?

I'd say there are more fun outdoor things to so in the area, especially with kids.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Biltmore appropriate for kids?

I'd say it is a good attraction for kids. It is an expensive attraction though, and you have to weigh that with your kids' interests. That being said, I think even if they are not really into it, it is a good lesson about history, architecture, living the opulent life, landscaping, plants/trees, farming, gardens, and all that goes along with Biltmore. Heck, even the winery will be an education. Kids don't have to be gleeful about every place they go, but most will acclimate to an attraction if the parent acts enthusiastic about it. My kid really liked it after the fact. We spent a lot of time outdoors-walking some of the trails. But he enjoyed ( a teen age boy, at that..OMG!!). the whole house in the end. Take them and they will learn! Have fun.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
395 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Biltmore appropriate for kids?

Can you outline some of the kids things in Asheville.