We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asheville with kids under 7.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Asheville with kids under 7.

My family and I (kids 6 and 3) will be coming to Asheville for 3 days in the beginning of Sept. Can we have some suggestions for things to, including any good places to eat with young kids (enjoy BBQ)? I would love to visit the Smokies and all, we enjoy the outdoors. Would also like some ideas for indoor activities with the kids, in case the kids aren't enjoying the outdoors as much as we hope. Is it worth it to attempt to pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway at any point? We are going to drive from Philadelphia, taking about 10-12 hours driving on I-81. I don't know how much longer it takes on the BRP. After leaving Asheville, we are heading over to Charlotte, is it possible to pick up the BRP going there? Thanks for any suggestions, it is greatly appreciated.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Asheville with kids under 7.

I would take the interstate all the way to Asheville. Take the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to the Great Smokey Mountain National Park (2-3 hour drive with all the beautiful stops to enjoy the views).

The kids will love playing in the mountain streams along the way. Heck you will too lol. I would spend a full day in the park.

As far as bbq try 12 Bones in Asheville. President Obama ate here on his vacation in April. It is only open for lunch.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Asheville with kids under 7.

I would try the Fiddlin Pig for BBQ. They have good BBQ and also have entertainment that I think the kids may enjoy. Bluegrass music and some nights they have cloggers too. It is a family friendly environment. I wouldn't add the BRP to your alreay long trip. You can hop onto the BRP once you are in Asheville to take in a scenic drive. I just love Dupont Forest which is about an hour south and it has tons of waterfalls which i think would be a fun time all. Also in that same area you can enjoy Sliding Rock and even go tubing. Inside stuff for kids try Asheville's Fun Depot and Health Adventure.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,380 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asheville with kids under 7.

No BRP to Charlotte, sorry...

Indoor fun: Fun Depot

http://www.ashevillesfundepot.com/index.php

http://www.wildwnc.org/

Chimeny Rock, North Carolina Nature Center, among other activities....

Dance: http://www.danceasheville.com/ scroll down for Sept.

In CR - could try the Duncan's BBQ; my husband loves it; I am spoilt on Charlotte's Mac's BBQ on South Blvd....stop there while in Charlotte, but only the original -South Blvd. Lunch or early supper is great for the families; bikers (if any come late; around 9pm)

urbanspoon.com/r/…Duncans-BBQ-Chimney-Rock

http://www.macspeedshop.com/menu.html

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Asheville with kids under 7.

Thanks for the replys. Is there any particular place we should go in the Smokies? Any particular hikes? I think we'll go to Chimney Rock, sounds like there are some nice, easy hikes for the kids. All of the restaurants sound great, are there any other recommendations for family friendly meals in and around Asheville, not necessarily BBQ? We have decided to not take the BRP, since we will be leaving very early in the AM, think its best to just get there. We will be staying at the Four Points Sheraton (free with points), any places to go to around there? Thanks again for the replys, we are getting very excited to see such a beautiul area of the country.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,380 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Asheville with kids under 7.

This website describes short hikes & what to expect.

hikewnc.info/trailheads/…nearasheville.html

As far as restaurants: my 2 favorites: Tupelo's & Corner Kitchen ...

both on TA reviews.

Just a thought - the festival in Boone might coincide with your trip: Not sure if you want to drive that way:

festivalsandevents.com/festival-mo.php…

Edited: 04 August 2010, 20:30
Arden, North...
Level Contributor
150 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Asheville with kids under 7.

If you go to the Pisgah Nat'l Forest, there is a great restaurant on Hwy 64 at the entrance to the forest in Pisgah Forest just outside of Brevard called Hawg Wild BBQ. Never had a bad meal there, and their fries are unique! (Double battered?) That's about a 15 minute drive down Hwy 280 from the Asheville Airport at I-26. Sliding Rock is up the road, as well as the fish hatchery, and your children would LOVE the Cradle of Forestry, which is VERY kid-friendly with a lot of kids exhibits and a simulated helicopter ride. This is the birthplace of forestry and the original cabins, etc that Carl Schenck created are there on a long winding path easy to walk. There's even a big locomotivein the woods for the kids to play on! At the top of the road, take a right onto the BRP, and just down the road is another great restaurant, Pisgah Inn, overlooking the valley. If you continue down this part of the parkway, about 30 minutes later after multiple tunnels (my kids love 'em!) you can exit at the Arboretum and get back to I-26 near the Asheville I-40/I-240 interchange just below Biltmore. E-mail me (see my profile) if you'd like further info. I grew up in Brevard and in that forest, and the Brevard area offers a lot to enjoy!

Cheers- Keith

Arden, NC

Arden, North...
Level Contributor
150 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Asheville with kids under 7.

Should've mentioned too that the Hendersonville Apple Festival is the first weekend of Sept - Labor Day weekend, and offers a lot to see too - an easy 15 minute or so drive down I-26 from Asheville. The local Elks Lodge offers a FABULOUS breakfast on Sunday morning from 7-12 noon - AYCE (tons of food, grits and corned beef hash included!) for $6 adults, $4 kids. Straight down Hwy 64 west from town and a left on Justice Street.

8. Re: Asheville with kids under 7.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2011, 05:20