We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grove Park Inn - Which room? Which Trolley?

Pittsburgh
12 posts
Save Topic
Grove Park Inn - Which room? Which Trolley?

Coming to Asheville for the first time this weekend for a family reunion. Staying at the Grove Park Inn (as instructed by the in-laws) I see from the website that they offer various types of rooms (Mountain View, Sammons Wing, Historic Main Inn). If I have an option upon check-in, should I request one type of room over another?

Also, I see a few options as far as tours/trolleys go (Grey Line, White Line, etc) Is one better than another?

Thanks very much!

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
932 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grove Park Inn - Which room? Which Trolley?

The purple bus!

http://www.lazoomtours.com/

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grove Park Inn - Which room? Which Trolley?

GPI is laid out sort of like a 'U'. The main (historic) inn forms the base of the U, with the newer Sammons and Vanderbilt wings forming the uprights. The rooms in the old inn are great--large, lots of wood all over the place, with lots of character. I prefer to stay in these rooms if I can get a mountain view (the inn is on a hillside, so only one side of the main inn has a view). Otherwise, I ask for a mountain-facing room in one of the wings.

The rooms in the wings are more like mainstream chain hotel rooms in their layout and look, although the furnishings are very nice.

Note that the wings have both mountain-facing and mountain-view rooms. The mountain-facing rooms face the back of the property (along the very top of the 'U' uprights), while the mountain-view rooms run along the side of the 'U' uprights, facing either the opposite wing or the sides of the property. Still nice views, but not quite as nice as being on the end and facing only the mountains.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Grove Park Inn - Which room? Which Trolley?

I agree with arby - I prefer the historic rooms - more character than the wings.

4. Re: Grove Park Inn - Which room? Which Trolley?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2011, 08:15