We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what best to do please?

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what best to do please?

We are visitors from the UK and are booked into an hotel in Asheville on the Sunday and Monday of Memorial Day Weekend 2011.

What's best to do to give us a flavour of the area please?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what best to do please?

Go to the Farmer's Market and have breakfast, lunch or dinner at Moose Cafe. Browse the market for outstanding produce. The most highly rated restaurant is Admiral. You will wonder why when you drive up but make your opinion after dinner. Corner Kitchen is a nice place for breakfast, lunch or dinner. President Obama dined there recently. Early Girl is nice for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Visit The Grove Park Inn for drinks or Sunday brunch. Visit the Biltmore Estate also.

ncagr.gov/markets/…index.htm

Moose Cafe @ 570 Brevard Road Asheville, NC 828 - 255 - 0920.

http://eatatthemoosecafe.com/

Admiral @ 400 Haywood Rd., Asheville, NC 828 - 252 - 2541.

http://www.theadmiralnc.com/

Corner Kitchen @ 3 Boston Way, Asheville, NC 828 - 274 - 2439.

http://www.thecornerkitchen.com/

Early Girl Eatery @ 8 Wall Street, Asheville, NC 828 - 259 - 9292.

http://www.earlygirleatery.com/

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what best to do please?

1. Tour the Biltmore Estate and grounds.

2. Take a long drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

3. Visit the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. Cataloochee is a great place to visit in the park.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what best to do please?

What are your interests? I would hike. Blue Ridge Parkway and Great SMOKY Mountains NP have many great trails.

With such limited time and coming from Europe I wouldn't recommend spending a day in Biltmore. Just my 2 cents. Like I stated, it depends on your interests. So, what are your interests?

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what best to do please?

Dear Places

We'll certainly take up your suggestion of hiking. We've pretty catholic tastes so a bit of history, a bit of architecture, lots of countryside and southern food too.

This is our first time in the States and are touring Georgia and the Carolinas. Thanks to you and other posters for your kind help.

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what best to do please?

David,

Since you are into a bit of history , a bit of architecture and aren't afraid of walking a bit, I would take advantage of what Asheville offers to those interests. While the Biltmore Estate is a tourist attraction, it may also be the most architecturally -rich location in the Southeast US. While its history is just over one century, it benefited from extremely wealthy owners, so the buildings and grounds are on par with the best of the traditional estates in the UK ...more like a country palace of Louis XIV in France. I spent a few years as a child in Worcester and visited many of the estates and castles with my family...what the Biltmore Estate lacks in history, in more than makes up for in sheer grandeur.

A walking tour of downtown Asheville will expose you to some of the best preserved architecture in the southeast, all within ten blocks filled with great galleries, restaurants, shops and pubs. While Southern cooking has advanced somewhat into the 21st century, you can still get great, local southern fare in Asheville. If you are downtown, try Early Girl Eatery. While in town, be sure to try one or more locally-brewed beers...on par with anything made in the UK.

Finally, Asheville is much-frequented because of its natural beauty. Memorial Day weekend should find the mountain laurel and rhododendron in bloom at high elevations on the Blue Ridge Parkway and water will be running high in the French Broad and the Nantahala Rivers and over the many wonderful waterfalls. Don't miss these while you are here if weather permits.

Edited: 29 November 2010, 02:48
6. Re: Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what best to do please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2011, 04:14
7. Re: Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what best to do please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2011, 23:10
Noname
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what best to do please?

It is puzzling why the last poster brings out all those old posts. Why? Maybe to advertise his own business listed under romanticasheville? Otherwise why would anyone look for old posts with already many great answers?

Noname
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what best to do please?

Wow! AshevilleNCTravel, so far 16 posts this morning and counting. How about giving more detailed information instead of advertising only one website.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Memorial Day Weekend 2011 - what best to do please?

Thanks for the reply. However, my website provides free info -400 pages. I love to help folks plan trips. And it's much easier posting a link than to go into great detail in a post. Maybe I'm doing this wrong? I apologize if so.