We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some ideas/suggestions...

Wilson, North...
Level Contributor
62 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Need some ideas/suggestions...

My husband and I are headed to Asheville this Friday to celebrate my 30th birthday... :) We have plans to do dinner at the Biltmore on Friday evening, then we are doing the Candlelight Christmas tour afterwards. Saturday morning, we are going to go back and check out the grounds and Antler Hill Village/Winery, but we hope to do all of that in the morning and be done by lunch so we can do some other things outside of the Biltmore. So...any ideas or suggestions? I would like to do something where we could walk around, do some shopping at the local stores, and have a good lunch and/or dinner. We are not familiar at all with the area.

Since we are only in the area for the weekend, I want to be sure to make the best use of our time and not spend majority of the time wandering around like lost puppies!

Thanks!

Loudon, Tennessee
Level Contributor
133 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some ideas/suggestions...

My husband and I are also doing the Biltmore Candlelight Tour on Friday evening for our 22nd wedding anniversary. I hope that you have a wonderful birthday and enjoy your tour.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some ideas/suggestions...

You'll get a lot of downtown Asheville suggestions I'm sure...and that's good. But - if you want to drive half an hour down I-26 to Hendersonville, it's a quaint downtown with neat shops and good restaurants. Don't miss McFarlan's Bakery on Main St if you go...and Living Room Coffee House on Main St, too.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some ideas/suggestions...

Black Mountain is a neat quaint town 15 miles E of Asheville. It's worth a visit and has outstanding restaurants and shops. Black Mountain Bistro and Morning Glory Cafe are good choices for lunch.

http://www.blackmountain.org/

Black Mountain Bistro @ 203 East State St., Black Mountain, NC 828 - 669 - 5041.

http://blackmountainbistro.com/

Morning Glory Cafe @ 6 E Market St # A, Black Mountain, NC 828 - 669 - 6212.

http://www.themorningglorycafe.com/

Edited: 08 December 2010, 21:48
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some ideas/suggestions...

There is so much to do right in Asheviile. No need to drive all the way to Hendersonville. Besides a nice looking Main Street Hendersonville is not too attractive town with lots of traffic, IMHO

http://www.romanticasheville.com/downtown.htm

Edited: 08 December 2010, 22:20
Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some ideas/suggestions...

^ Agreed. Nothing against Hendersonville or Black Mountain, they are indeed worth visiting, but if you've never been to downtown Asheville I'd recommend that first. It's just a great place to walk around, shop, people-watch, eat, and drink.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need some ideas/suggestions...

LOL@ traffic in H'Ville - I find driving in downtown A'Ville a confusing mess. But I do agree it's fun to visit. Whether a town is " attractive" is , of course, a personal opinion. I would think the thousands who visit H'ville monthly ( many like myself repeat visitors for decades) would probably not agree. Both places are fun to visit. They represent two distinct styles. I see no need to downgrade one to lift up the other - it's apples and oranges. But- it's certainly fine to say - I just don't like a place...that's what TA is all about. Best wishes, all.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need some ideas/suggestions...

Downgrading? Please reread my post <<Besides a nice looking Main Street Hendersonville is not too attractive town with lots of traffic, IMHO>>

IMHO

Best regards,

Places

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need some ideas/suggestions...

ok spaNC...back to your question. 2 suggestions would be

1. Biltmore Village which is located pretty much at the Estate entrance. Lots of cobblestone streets with cute shops and great places to eat.

2. Grove Arcade in downtown AVL. you can visit some of the gingerbread houses that are are display primarily at Grove Park Inn, but they have some on display at Grove Arcade. Lots of local shopping and great places to eat.

I would pick downtown AVL as if you decide to go to another area or restaurant you don't need to get in your car to go elsewhere you can just walk. Enjoy your birthday! Have a great weekend!

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need some ideas/suggestions...

I reccomend the following hotels:

1. SpringHill Suites Asheville

2. Homewood Suites Asheville- Tunnel Road

3. Baymont Inn Asheville/ Biltmore Estate

4. Red Roof Inn- Asheville West

5.Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Rd.

Also, AVOID DOWNTOWN ASHEVILLE.

Edited: 22 December 2010, 00:07
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,016 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need some ideas/suggestions...

I don't think anyone visiting Asheville should avoid downtown. It's a beautiful town, especially this time of year.