We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Skiing for Beginners and Apres-Ski?

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best Skiing for Beginners and Apres-Ski?

My boyfriend and I rented a cabin in Burnsville and are looking to do a day of skiing in the area. We are both beginners and will want to take a private lesson. The only resort that mentions lessons on its website that I've found is Sugar Mountain. Can I assume they all offer private lessons for a fee?

Wolf Ridge had the best specials - Tues nites buy 1 get 1 free lift tix and Wed nites ladies are 1/2 off lift tix.

I'd prefer a resort that was more adult-oriented, less family-oriented. Do any of the resorts in the area have any sort of Apres-Ski?

Edited: 25 December 2010, 15:40
Atlanta
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Skiing for Beginners and Apres-Ski?

Looks like Cataloochee also offers lessons as well...

Atlanta
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Skiing for Beginners and Apres-Ski?

Actually Cataloochee is not an option as it looks too far away from Burnsville - 3 hours. So I guess my options are Wolf Ridge, Sugar Mountain and Ski Beech.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Skiing for Beginners and Apres-Ski?

I must've mistyped because now it says 1hr 29 min to Cataloochee which is not too bad. Anyway do any of the resorts offer apres-ski, adult-oriented (college kids ok), good for beginners and private lessons? Prefer a smaller resort to larger one.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Skiing for Beginners and Apres-Ski?

Appalachian Ski Mountain has a great ski school and is also a smaller resort than others. appskimtn.com/learn-to-ski/… It's also near Blowing Rock and Boone; both great little mountain towns with great bars, restaurants and cute shops. Boone is where Appalachian State University is located so you'll find more college students there; Blowing Rock is a bit more upscale.

Stick to the ski resorts in the northern NC mountains, the slopes, conditions; everything much better than Cataloochee.

Ski Beech and Sugar are both good NC ski resorts, but larger than Appalachian Ski Mountain.

You may want to post your questions to Boone and Blowing Rock Forums, they get much more ski type questions/topics than Asheville does; the Asheville area is really not considered NC ski country.

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Skiing for Beginners and Apres-Ski?

I agree with Appalachian as a great spot to get a lesson or two, then either Beech or Sugar have beginner slopes, intermediate slopes, great Ski Patrol and Apres Ski facilities.

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Skiing for Beginners and Apres-Ski?

You could stay at App Ski Mtn all day. The French Swiss ski instructors will give lessons, and they have fun beginner slopes. Enjoy!

-gn

7. Re: Best Skiing for Beginners and Apres-Ski?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2011, 06:42