We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greensboro to Asheville then to Atlanta

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin
6 posts
Save Topic
Greensboro to Asheville then to Atlanta

Hello, I'll be traveling in February going east on 40 to Asheville then maybe 26 south to 85 heading to Georgia. Could anyone tell me what the road conditions would be like in Feb, is it very mountainous on 40? Or any suggestions on better routes. I have a RWD pickup which will be towing a small Uhaul trailer.

Thank you

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
333 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greensboro to Asheville then to Atlanta

Mother Nature is guilty of throwing all of us some surprises. There is no way any soul can tell you with certainty what the weather and road conditions will be. But, if you monitor the weather on tv or online you should be able to look ahead a few days with some fairly accurate information. If it's bad, stay home and wait a day or two for it to clear. It has been my experience that the interstates you are traveling are kept clear and safe. If you are not going to use any secondary roads you should be ok. As the temps moderate in the morning any threat of "black ice" should also diminish. Drive safe!!

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
876 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greensboro to Asheville then to Atlanta

I hope you'll be going west on I-40 from Greensboro to Asheville! As you pass Statesville (mm150) you will begin to get into long, rolling foothills. At Old Fort (mm 72) you will begin a 5 mile long 1,500 foot ascent. This is a long, steep, curving climb with three lanes on the highway, and if the weather is bad this stretch will not be fun. I don't know how loaded your truck will be, and you say you will be pulling a trailer. Vehicles make it up "the hill" all the time, but if you are going to have a weight issue you might consider bypassing Asheville and taking I-85 directly to Atlanta.

(I'm not being alarmist here, as I don't know how loaded down you will be or what type of engine you have in your truck, but since you asked if the area was mountainous (it is), I want you to be fully aware of the climb.)

Once you reach the eastern Continental Divide at Ridgecrest (mm 66) you will be in the valley that comprises most of Buncombe County (Asheville). Like Keepthosebagspacked said, no one can predict the weather now for February, but if it has been even 24 hours since any snow the Interstates and other major roads should be clear.

Once you get to Asheville you have two choices to get to Atlanta. You can take I-26 into SC and join I-85 all the way to Atlanta. You can also take highway 25 off I-26 near Flat Rock (exit 54) into SC and bypass Greenville and then junction with I-85. This will cut about 30 miles off your drive, and while you will be on a four lane road the whole way know that 25 is not an interstate.

Another option, and quite scenic if the weather is nice, is you can continue west on I-40 from Asheville to exit 27, and take 23/74 to Dillsboro where you junction with 441. There is a sign for Atlanta there, and you can follow 23/441 as it bypasses Franklin and continues in to Georgia. Stick with 23 to Gainesville where it becomes I-985. Once you get past Franklin this is a fairly flat road, and almost all of it is 4 lanes, with significant portions 4 lane divided controlled access highway.

3. Re: Greensboro to Asheville then to Atlanta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2011, 07:41