We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

asheville vs lake lure

dayton ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
asheville vs lake lure

My family and I are driving out to Asheville from Ohio in July. Some activities we plan on doing are Biltmore Estate, white water rafting, chimney rock, sliding rock, hiking in the smoky mountains, etc. Found foxrun townhouses in lake lure through rci. LIke that is had a lazy river too. Is this too far away from Asheville activities? I know it is only 22 miles away, but heard the driving is long. Should we rent a cabin in Asheville instead? What are your recommendations? THANKS

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: asheville vs lake lure

I would get a cabin in either Waynesville or Maggie Valley. Both are central loctions for what you want to see and do.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
420 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: asheville vs lake lure

Asheville is not that far a drive from Lake Lure, and it is a very scenic one at that. Nice little beach at Lake Lure, but not much else. Chimney Rock is right there, cool spot for hiking and exploring. Honestly, get a cabin in Asheville, you're near everything and it easily makes a great location base for day trips. Brevard is 30 minutes away, tons of waterfalls, hiking and exploring there. Great little town. You can hop on the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville. You're also not far from the Great Smokies National Park and Cherokee either. Check out VRBO.com for possibly condo/vacation home rentals and get something with a kitchen to save on dining out.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: asheville vs lake lure

I agree. With all activities you want to do Asheville would be more logical place to stay. It is impossible to recommend any lodging options since you did not explain who "my family" is, how many people, budget.

dayton ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: asheville vs lake lure

Thanks for the advice:) I think we are going to stay in Asheville in a cabin. I like the idea of being close to downtown.

5. Re: asheville vs lake lure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2012, 05:22