We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thunderstorms in July

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Thunderstorms in July

How often does it storm in July around Asheville? We want to go white water rafting & the company says they go, "rain or shine", we want to reserve the time, but I don't want to pay up front & have to raft in a downpour. Do storms happen almost every afternoon, or just once a week or so.

Appreciate any help!

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thunderstorms in July

You just never know. You could have weeks with no showers at all, or weeks with showers every afternoon. If rain would seriously be that big of a problem for you, then you shouldn't make the reservation. Otherwise, go ahead and if it rains, so what? You'll still have a great time.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Thunderstorms in July

Storms blow up quickly in the mountains in the summer. They can be furious but are usually short. You just get out of the water, take shelter, and wait for it to pass.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thunderstorms in July

Thanks, guys. I grew up in south La., so I'm not afraid of rain, just being on the water if there's lightening all around. I appreciate the help!

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thunderstorms in July

It all depends. Most years during the summer it will storm nearly every afternoon on the dot.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thunderstorms in July

You can always schedule a morning rafting trip. Much less likely to have a t-storm then! And usually you can wait and schedule a rafting trip at the last minute (especially mon-fri), so you can adjust your trip according to the weather forecast.

6. Re: Thunderstorms in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2012, 06:18