We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Foliage in mid October (15th-20th)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Fall Foliage in mid October (15th-20th)

I saw almost this same question but 5 years ago. I am a single "Leaf Pepper" and will be traveling to the Asheville area to see the Biltmore and the Blue Ridge Parkway-north and south. Is this generally considered a "good timing" for the fall foliage. Being that this is a busy time of the year would you be making reservations right now. Wish to stay in moderately priced lodgings ($85-95 per night) suggestions welcomed..

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
420 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall Foliage in mid October (15th-20th)

Hmmmm. Tough call. Last year, the leaves turned closer to Halloween and Nov 1st. It depends on the weather though so can't really say until October rolls around anyway. But, it those are the dates you want, then definitely start looking around now, most places are already sold out or near it. Extremely busy time in Western North Carolina. Good luck!

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall Foliage in mid October (15th-20th)

Those rates may be tough to find in October, but not unheard of. Look for a place to stay in east Asheville which is close to the Parkway. You may find better rates there. The leaves tend to change on the northern end of the parkway first (higher elevation). However like GPIFAN said above, it's hard to predict. Keep an eye on fall color reports to find out the best place to go while you're here.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
378 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall Foliage in mid October (15th-20th)

DON"T DILLY DALLY with your reservations. This is PRIME TIME leaf peeping (it may even be the week of the Southern Highland Craft Fair- check AVL visitor site - www.exploreasheville.com- cause it is usually a mob scene. Will be crowded everywhere then anyway!) Rates go up and expect longer cancellation periods). If I were you, I would call the Brookstone Lodge. Decent location (not a beautiful location/ industrial), BUT close to Blue Ridge Parkway (I-40/exit 53-A about 3 miles away), and maybe about 4 miles south of the Biltmore Estate/ and Biltmore Village. Brookstone gets great reviews, and I think you can find a decent rate, and it is in an easy location for what you want to do. Also, if you are flying, check out our great little airport. Very convenient! Fares vary and you can get a good deal sometimes. Also, Southwest Airlines flies into Greenville, SC (GSP) now. Also very convenient. Only 50 minutes up to Brookstone. Take the route up highway 25- Quite pretty over the Green River Gorge area. Enjoy!

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
693 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall Foliage in mid October (15th-20th)

I think it's a good bet you'll find foliage somewhere along the Parkway on those dates ... you just may need to drive a bit to find it, as it's always dependent on the particular year and where exactly you are. At certain elevations on the Parkway, though, I think your dates will work well to see some good colors.

October on the Parkway is simply magical. Enjoy!

5. Re: Fall Foliage in mid October (15th-20th)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 05:18