We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on Knoxville to Asheville in December

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Naples, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Need advice on Knoxville to Asheville in December

Hi - We're planning to drive I-40 in late December from Knoxville area to Asheville. What is the weather like that time of year, and will I-40 be clear or is it usually snow covered and icy? I'm concerned about driving over the mountains at that time. Thanks!

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
632 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on Knoxville to Asheville in December

If you are in Knoxville, then the news will keep you updated if there is bad weather that closes the interstate. Generally speaking, you will not experience any problems.

Both Tennessee and North Carolina state road departments have online updates for travelers or you can call them.

In the recent past, rock slides have been the most common reason for extended road closures. Hats off to both TDOT and NCDOT as they do a great job of keeping the interstate open and safe.

I am sure others can offer equally good advice on traveling 40 East. I usually cut through the mountain passes to travel to and return from the Asheville area.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on Knoxville to Asheville in December

Funny, I just did that drive today, returning from a trip to visit relatives. It's a beautiful drive!

Regarding wintertime, the good news first: I-40 is an interstate, so if there is bad weather it will get priority for snow/ice removal. The bad news, of course, is there's always a chance of bad weather, and yes, it could happen when you take your trip. You may have to delay things for a day or two.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on Knoxville to Asheville in December

I once drove that route going back to college in TN from Charlotte - December 1975....drove all night through a snow storm that hit over about Shelby. By the time I got past Waynesville it was a blizzard but I kept going. I was driving a 1970 Ford Galaxy! Honey, we made it - but a 5 hour trip turned into a 10 hour trip. Bottom line- you never know what the weather will do that time of year - could be nice, could be bad.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
333 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on Knoxville to Asheville in December

Unless it is an absolute blizzard, and that is not likely, you will have no problems. That is a stretch of interstae that has high priority. One thing that is on your side traveling I40 is the lower altitude. Traveling over the mountain from Gatlinburg is certainly more risky in bad weather and the trip to Asheville going north through Johnson City, TN and down I26 has a better chance of being bad due the the elevation of the road. You will be fine!

5. Re: Need advice on Knoxville to Asheville in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 18:17