We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan please

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mansfield, CT
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help me plan please

My wife and I are planning to make a trip on one of the weekends in September. We live in Maryland.

1. Is it better to drive from Baltimore or fly to a nearby airport and drive from there?

2. We are interested in staying in a cabin? Something quiet, in a scenic place, but safe.

3. I have a Thursday, Friday, Saturday and have to return by Sunday. Can you please suggest me some good places to visit? We are total nature lovers and not interested in the town/ city.

If any of you need help planning a New England vacation, feel free to ping me.

Ray

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
677 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan please

Hi Ray,

Can you tell us the general area where you're interested in staying? I know you said you're not interested in towns/cities, but were you thinking near Asheville? Near Smoky Mountain National Park? That would help us guide you as far as what to do/where to go outdoors, as this whole area is one big outdoors oasis.

As far as driving/flying, I would definitely fly since your trip is so short. Otherwise, you'd spend most of two full days just driving to and from. The mountains here are a lot farther away from you than the Raleigh area. I don't know if there are flights into Asheville airport from D.C., but if not, you can fly into either Charlotte or Greenville/Spartanburg (S.C.). To Asheville, it's about 2 1/2 hours from Charlotte and about 1 1/2 hours from Greenville/Spartanburg.

September is a great month to visit here. You'll miss fall colors, but the days are warm, nights are cool and your visit will be sandwiched between the summer tourist crowds and the leaf peepers in October.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan please

Why don't you fly. There are a lot of flights from Baltimore through Charlotte to Asheville. Willow Winds has some great cabins to rent a short drive from downtown Asheville.

Willow Winds @ 39 Stockwood Road Extended, Asheville, North Carolina 828 - 277 - 3948.

http://www.willowwinds.com/

Mansfield, CT
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan please

I don't know much about the area. I saw that Asheville NC was one of the 7 places to see in the US for nature lovers. Any suggestions/ advise on Asheville vs Great Smoky mountains is greatly appreciated.

I thought of driving 'cos I heard the blue ridge pkwy drive is awesome. But it will be a long drive. So I may fly in.

Thanks

Ray

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan please

Asheville is definitely the closer option if you fly in to Charlotte. From there you can find day hikes along the Blue Ridge Parkway like Graveyard Fields, Craggie Gardens or Mt. Mitchell (the highest peak east of the Mississippi). A day trip into Brevard will put you in the heart of waterfall country. There really is an endless supply of outdoor options.

Also, you may not be into cities, but I think you'll find Asheville to be a pleasant surprise. It's a small town with an artistic vibe and an incredible food scene. it would be a shame to come all this way and not check it out. ;-)

5. Re: Help me plan please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 23:16