We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asheville as base for vacation?

NY
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Asheville as base for vacation?

My wife and I are going to be driving to the Asheville and Smoky Mountain areas soon and have the good fortune of having about 9 days after we arrive (driving from New York). We have tentative plans, but I am trying to figure out how best to break up the time/accomodations so that we won't have to drive long distances to visit areas of interest but also don't have to move around too much, if possible.

We will probably stay for a few nights close to the Smoky Mountains (We were consideringTownsend) and then go to the Asheville area. During our visit we intend to go to Biltmore, do some hiking, general sightseeing, people watching, etc. We may also spend a night in Bowling Rock for a night as we head back north.

Should we consider staying in another location(s) as well? I like to try to strike a balance between having things to do to keep busy, but not so much that it isn't relaxing or that it feels rushed. We have never visited the area before, so I'm not certain how long it makes sense to stay (I generally see posts where people indicate they are going for only 2-3 days). I was considering a drive out to Nashville for a few days as well, but thought that perhaps might be pushing it a bit.

Any thoughts are welcome, including suggestions of things to do during the visit .

Thanks!

NY
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asheville as base for vacation?

Typo: I meant "Blowing" Rock not "Bowling" :-)

Wilson, North...
Level Contributor
53 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Asheville as base for vacation?

depends on what you want to do for how long you stay.

Biltmore is a relaxing visit==I would suggest taking the self guided tour. I like hiking so we normally look up waterfalls and hike to them. In so doing we pack a picnic lunch and find a big rock in or close to a stream. just our preference. You can also go white water rafting about 1-1.5 hours from Asheville. I have always been with children so our activities are normally trying to to entertain them. Hope you enjoy your visit. I do believe 2-3 days in the area is enough unless you want to kick back and relay.

Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Asheville as base for vacation?

cant go wrong in the smokies. we enjoy the nc side more so than the tenn side only because it is less congested. lots of cabins to rent some with great views. we enjoy the maggie valley area because it is 30miles from the biltmore and 14 mile from cherokee and the gsmnp. we usually rent the cabin majestic overlook in maggie but it is probably booked on short notice. enjoy the mountains kev

Edited: 19 August 2011, 22:34
New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Asheville as base for vacation?

I am also planning a trip to the area you are talking about I would really like if you would post a trip report when you return.

Safe travels and have a great time.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Asheville as base for vacation?

Asheville, N.C are one of the most wonderful city I have been. My family and I went to The Biltmore Estate last year/2010, it was breathe taking. I would love to move there soon one day. The weather was always nice.The bus tour around the city was so relaxling, we saw where all the VIP's stay(President Obama,Mr.Bush etc.) we got off the bus and had a tour of the grounds, breather taking. Planing on going back this year soon/2011.It's a must to see. PJ

Edited: 20 August 2011, 17:34
Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Asheville as base for vacation?

I would rent a cabin in Maggie Valley NC. It is a central location to Asheville and the Smokies. Spend all 9 days here. No packing and unpacking. An hour to Asheville and an hour to Smokies. The Nantahala and Pisgah National Forests are also close. They are like another national park. Good places to eat in area. Waynesville is close with a great downtown. The BRP is 10 minutes away, Try vrbo.com to rent a nice cabin with a view and hottub.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Asheville as base for vacation?

Asheville is centrally located to Blowing Rock and the Smokies. With nine days you'll have plenty of time to explore the entire area. Nashville would be pushing it though. It's a fairly long drive out of the mountains and would probably work best as a separate vacation.

8. Re: Asheville as base for vacation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Asheville