We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking with 4 year old and a 2 month old?

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Blanc...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Hiking with 4 year old and a 2 month old?

Hi experts....maybe a silly question but are there any trails that could be navigated with a stroller for an infant and a 4 year old walker? Any tips for attempting a hiking expedition with kids this age? We have not done this before, although we jog every day and are physically fit.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking with 4 year old and a 2 month old?

I know that the Cradle of Forestry has a couple of (easy) paved trails suitable for stollers:

http://www.cradleofforestry.com/site/

There are not many paved trails out here...

I know there is also one out at Roan Mountain, but I don't know how far you want to stray from Asheville.

The trail to Laurel Falls in the Great Smokies is paved (and usually crowded), but it's a little rougher than the other two trails I mentioned.

Also the trail from the parking lot to the top of Mt. Mitchell is paved (but steep).

Those are the only ones that I can think of offhand. If you have a Snugli or something similar for the baby you would have more options. Just sayin... :)

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
420 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking with 4 year old and a 2 month old?

You could go to the Arboretum which is located on the Blue ridge Parkway just a couple miles from Asheville. They have trails you could navigate and the scenery is lovely. The Botanical Gardens in Asheville near UNCA campus are nice too. Short walking trails around that property that can handle strollers. There is also a small bird sanctuary north of Asheville near Beaver Lake. Downtown Asheville has some good hilly climbs and lots to see so don't miss out on walking around downtown.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking with 4 year old and a 2 month old?

First of all...good luck. :o)

I agree with the Arboretum.

Also depending on the stroller you have heavier tires like a "jeep" stroller vs. the ones with tiny skinny tires you may be able to go on the open dirth paths. In Dupont Forest, there are 2 easy trails that are scenic and easy. The first being Hooker Falls. Very wide dirt paths and relatively flat. Slight hill at the end to actually dip your toes in the water, but if you stop before the hill you can still enjoy a great view of the falls. You may want to also try the Covered Bridge trail. This one may be a little more tricky though as it is gravel for the first part then dirt trails. The gravel may be too challenging for the stroller, but all in all easy hike. Hooker Falls is great though and I do not think you should have any problems.

Check out this like for these 2 hikes. hikewnc.info/trailheads/…dsfwaterfalls.html

Grand Blanc...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking with 4 year old and a 2 month old?

Thanks so much for replying friends!

We appreciate the advice and will follow up with all the links .. Also going to dig up the snugli to carry the baby. At least I will get a good workout in that day! :).

Now to look for good advice on how to make two kids happy all day whilst visiting shops and brew pubs downtown...lol

Grand Blanc...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking with 4 year old and a 2 month old?

Thanks so much for replying friends!

We appreciate the advice and will follow up with all the links .. Also going to dig up the snugli to carry the baby. At least I will get a good workout in that day! :).

Now to look for good advice on how to make two kids happy all day whilst visiting shops and brew pubs downtown...lol

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking with 4 year old and a 2 month old?

Some of those shops may have to be toy shops. ;)

7. Re: Hiking with 4 year old and a 2 month old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 11:17