We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Music in Asheville

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
jacksonville, fl
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Music in Asheville

My girlfriend and I are visiting Asheville the first weekend in November and want to see some live music. We like bluegrass and want to hear something that is authentic to the region. When I look for bands, of course, I do not recognize any of the names. I just want some ideas of cool places that usually have good bands on the weekends. We will be staying near downtown.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
375 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Music in Asheville

Check out -

Orange Peel

Grey Eagle

LAB

The Mountain Express is our local guide to what's going on.

Enjoy!

Edited: 28 September 2011, 22:41
jacksonville, fl
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Music in Asheville

The Orange Peel looks really cool. Is it more of a concert venue or a bar where bands play? I just don't want to have to purchase expensive tickets. There is no bands listed for the weekend we are going, but I guess they could still book. If there is not a band booked is the bar open?

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
644 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Music in Asheville

The Orange Peel indeed is really cool and they get a lot of great bands (I saw Lindsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac there a few years ago). It's definitely a concert venue, though they have two bars and a great selection of U.S. craft and local beers. The Grey Eagle, though I haven't been in a few years or so, is more intimate and a place where you can sit (no seats at Orange Peel).

If you'd prefer a bar where bands play, there's plenty, and as PurpleLady said, Mountain Xpress (weekly paper) is a great resource. The LAB (brewery) and Jack of the Wood pub are two popular places that come to mind.

Also, about 20 minutes or so east of Asheville in Black Mountain is Pisgah Brewing Co., probably the most popular local brewery which recently added an outdoor stage. They are big on live music so the place is quite "happening."

Enjoy!

Kreskin2207
Level Contributor
61 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Music in Asheville

Jack of the Wood normally has roots/traditional/bluegrass music several times a week. They also serve the in-house (brewery attached) Green Man which is an excellent brew. Try the ESB.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
375 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Music in Asheville

FYI - the Green Man Brewery was moved out of the Jack of the Wood 6ish years ago. It now is on Buxton Avenue, on the south side of downtown. Dirty Jacks, the tasting room, is open daily from 4 until. I think Saturdays and Sundays they may open earlier. Several years ago, Green Man was sold and now continues to be served at its original home, the Jack of the Wood. You can also find Green Man on tap all around Asheville. Yes, by all means try the ESB!!!!! It is really YUMMY! My favorite local beer in town by far.

6. Re: Music in Asheville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 00:15