We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay in blowing rock?

honolulu
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
stay in blowing rock?

I'll be in Asheville the 3rd weekend in Oct to see the fall colors. We will be driving North to Pennsylvania and am wondering if I should plan to spend the night in Blowing Rock? We will be driving up on the Blue ridge Parkway and although the straight drive is approx. 2 hours, I know that we will stop along the way for a short walk on a trail and possibly the waterfall as well. Would it be best to stay the night at Blowing Rock or would it be best to continue through up to Charlottesville via 81N to spend the night or will that be a very long day with all the driving? We will probably head out of Asheville around noon. Any advice or recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: stay in blowing rock?

Hi,

Where in Pennsylvania are you headed? It usually takes me about 9 and a half hours to drive straight from Hendersonville (30 minutes south of Asheville) to Selinsgrove, Pa (45 minutes north of Harrisburg).

A couple of things: First, the fall colors will probably be gone up in the Blowing Rock area by late October. That's "High Country" and the colors start earliest there. That's not to say not to visit. And the drive up on the Parkway - colors or no colors - is beautiful. So if you want to do the drive, go for it.

It won't really save you any time leaving from there versus Ashevilled. I remember about five years ago driving from Blowing Rock to Long Island and it took a while to hook up with I-77 (which takes you to I-81) from Blowing Rock.

So, if the goal is fall colors going to Blowing Rock, you'll be a little late, and it will save time to head straight to Pa. from Asheville. If you have time, however, and don't mind being past the peak for foliage, I would definitely encourage doing the drive along the Parkway from Asheville to Blowing Rock. Spectacular scenery!

Safe travels.

honolulu
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stay in blowing rock?

thanks for your reply. darn, i was hoping to see the fall colors and was only doing the parkway from asheville to blowing rock for that one reason alone. i thought the colors would still be around in the 3rd week of Oct? I guess it will be, only farther south?

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: stay in blowing rock?

Sorry to be the messenger of bad news, kqtng. I was on the Parkway today from Mount Pisgah south to N.C. 215 (well south of your route) and there are already colors popping up in most areas. I would think the Parkway all around the Asheville area, however (which is at a lower elevation), will have great color at that time - just not so much north from Craggy Gardens to Mount Mitchell to the Blowing Rock area.

Still, as I said earlier, it's a beautiful drive, and the weather should be amazing, with great views. I would do the drive regardless, if you have the time, and you would probably catch some great views of color from the Parkway down below into the valleys on your way north.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
388 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stay in blowing rock?

You know, I would take a chance and drive the Parkway to Blowing Rock. I actually usually think that Boone/Blowing Rock is about a week or so peak after we are here in Asheville, so you will be hitting it right. By all means drive up the BRPKWY. That is one of the most beautiful stretches in my opinion. If you can catch the leaves with the full color around Lynn Cove Viaduct (check out the visitor center) and Price lake, then I would say it was well worth your gas money. Do take a picnic cause there aren't many places to get lunch. FYI - it could take you 4 hours from AVL to Blowing Rock due to the 45 to 35 mile/hour speed limit. Also, you could get behind the "leaf peepers" that drive slowly or are stopped for photo ops!

You better get on some reservations in Blowing Rock though! (Don't waste your time on Boone. College town). Check out Yonahlossee Resort (Gamekeeper Restaurant is awesome), or Valle Crusis or Banner Elk for nearby options for places to stay. Enjoy!

5. Re: stay in blowing rock?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 22:19