We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10/13 - 10/16

Louisiana
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
10/13 - 10/16

I have researched and studied this last week and have a simple itinerary put together. Is there anything going on next weekend I shouldn't miss? I am doing the beer cruise and my wife is doing Biltmore.

We are hunting places to hear live music on the softer side, like jazz or acoustic, any ideas? We are staying downtown but hope to see all of Asheville. So, anything going on around town we may be interested in doing?

Which orchard would you go to to buy apples?

Any good BBQ places?

How about the best hamburger joint?

Thank You, Tim

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10/13 - 10/16

Asheville City Market should have apples. Western NC Farmer's Market may be best as they are open 7 days a week.

Asheville City Market @ 161 S. Charlotte St., Asheville, NC 828 - 348 - 0340.

www.asapconnections.org/citymarket.html

ncagr.gov/markets/…

Jack of the Wood has good live music.

Jack of the Wood Pub @ 95 Patton Avenue, Asheville, NC 828 - 252 - 5445.

http://www.jackofthewood.com/

Ruby's has good BBQ.

Ruby's BBQ Shack @ 8 Beverly Rd., Asheville, NC. 828 - 299 - 3511.

http://www.rubysbbqshack.com/

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10/13 - 10/16

If you want to drive a little to Waynesville they are having the Haywood County Apple Festival. They usually have lots of arts and crafts and great food.

BBQ - If you go for lunch Luella's BBQ on Merrimon is good and so it the famous Twelve Bones (you'd need to be in line by 11:30 usually and it's usually lined out the door.)

Hamburger - If you want franchise TGIFriday's or Applebee's nothing else is coming to mind. There's Eddie's Dawg House for hamburgers and hot dogs. It's on Leicester Hwy so maybe 15 minutes from downtown, but it's pretty good.

Collaroy Beach...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10/13 - 10/16

I like Lluella's BBQ on Merrimon and a place called Granny's for hamburgers. It's off I26 heading North at the New Stock Road exit on Weaverville Highway. Nothing fancy to look at, but delicious.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
388 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10/13 - 10/16

The best market in the county is the North Asheville Tailgate market. It is at UNCA campus, Sat. 8? til noon. Don't get there past 10. Biggest market in the county and been going on for 30 years. The city market has more crafts/nonfood items. It's a must. I like the idea of heading down to Hendersonville for the festival. Check out Appalachian Craft Brewery for a pint.

As for BBQ, that is a personal opinion. I happen to prefer whole hog pit cooked over hickory wood. Eastern NC que - Wilburs to be exact. That't in Goldsboro. It's a road trip from here. To be honest to you, since 1950, unless you were using pit wood cooking before then, you can still do it. If not, you are not grandfathered in. So, now many around here are smoked by gas or electric. My personal favorite is Luellas. Especially there ribs. Jeff uses St. Louis style ribs which don't tend to dry out when they are smoked, then reheated on the grill when they are ordered like baby backs do. That's just my opinion.

I'm not sure about Jack of the Wood for something quite, especially in Rocktober!!! Just don't go there when the Sons of Ralph are there. Although good music early, it tends to be a total drunken fest.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
420 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10/13 - 10/16

The LAB burger at the Lexington Avenue brewery is crazy good. Eat it with the brown porter and you'll be very happy/

Louisiana
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10/13 - 10/16

Here it is 1130 or so at night and I am getting my playlist together for the drive. I have a 'my favorite' songs list that is about 20 gig and I just copy big random hunks that ends up being perfect for the drive. I like all the stuff you are telling me. I love learning a place and you tell a city by its food and how much it loves having a good time. New Orleans is a prime example of economically challenged gourmet food and some good music just standing on the corner. Asheville seems interesting, how does it deal with eccentricities?

Looking forward to the bbq at Luella's but will try Goldsboro next time. I am giving this time to Asheville with a brief run to some orchards for apples. I am looking at Coston Orchards or Justus Orchards. Any ideas on these two places?

What are the funkiest places in town?

Thank for the great stuff, Tim

7. Re: 10/13 - 10/16

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 03:17