We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help deciding area to stay - driving from Orlando, FL

Central Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need help deciding area to stay - driving from Orlando, FL

We will be driving from Orlando, FL and would like to visit Biltmore and the Asheville area. I work for a hotel company but the only employee rates I can find near Asheville are for a hotel in Greeneville-Spartanburg for $40/night. I did find a Days Inn Biltmore East for $64/night.

This is only for a 3-night trip (a long weekend Th-Sun) so I'm struggling whether to drive farther and stay in an unfamiliar hotel or stay farther away from Biltmore but be in a hotel I'm familiar with but with the possibility of more driving and spending possibly more money on gas.

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help deciding area to stay - driving from Orlando, FL

Hi there,

I'm with the Asheville CVB. Room rates are typically higher in the downtown and Biltmore area, but that doesn't mean you can't find a deal. Look for the hotels on the west or east side of town. Hotels on Tunnel road sometimes offer specials online. The Days Inn Biltmore East is close to everything Asheville offers so don't feel you're staying too far away by booking there.

Central Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help deciding area to stay - driving from Orlando, FL

Perfect. Thank you so much!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help deciding area to stay - driving from Orlando, FL

When I was looking for a room for a Sept stay, the Downtown Inn and Suites was pretty cheap (about $45/night.) I didn't stay there, but it's probably on par with a Days Inn from what I can tell. It is right downtown so parking would be free and you could walk everywhere while in town.

Central Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help deciding area to stay - driving from Orlando, FL

Didn't think about parking. Thanks for the advice!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help deciding area to stay - driving from Orlando, FL

I hope you can find a nice hotel. Explore gave you some good advice. Here's a few places to stop and rest on your way North. Good luck.

When you get to Jacksonville, FL on I 95 get off at Exit 353 C on W Union St. and go about 8 blocks to Pearl and take a left to Jenkin's Quality BBQ which is home owned by the Jenkins' Family for over 50 years. Get off I 95 at Exit 373 and go W to Callahan's BBQ.

Jenkin's Quality BBQ @ 830 North Pearl Street, Jacksonville, FL 904 - 353 - 6388.

http://www.jenkinsqualitybarbecue.com/

Callahan's BBQ @ 45007 State Rd 200, Callahan, FL 904 - 879 - 4675.

Get off I 95 at Exit 1 and go W on St. Mary's which turns into Scrubby Bluff Rd. and go to Jack's BBQ. Or you can get off I 95 at Exit 3 at Kingsland, GA and cross E King Ave. to Boone Ave. which is the next street then take a left to Blue's BBQ at the Chevron Market for good BBQ.

Jack's BBQ @ 1359 Scrubby Bluff Rd., Kingsland, GA 912 - 729 - 1500.

Blue's BBQ @ 1330 Boone Ave. Extension E, Kingsland, GA 912 - 576 - 8682.

Get off I 95 at Exit 29 and go W on Highway 82 about a mile to Gary Lee's Market for good road food.

Gary Lee's Market @ 3636 U. S. Hwy. 82, Brunswick, GA. 912 - 265 - 1925.

Get off I 95 at Exit 49 to the right at Darien, GA and go NW on Highway 251 less than a mile to Smokey Joe's BBQ. It is between two hotels on the left and has excellent pulled pork.

If you want the best fresh seafood on your trip get off I 95 at Exit 49 in Darien, GA to the right and go E on Highway 251 to Highway 17. Take a right on Highway 17 and go S for 1.2 miles. Turn right on Broad St. just before crossing the bridge. Go one block and take your first left on Screven St. and have some outstanding fresh seafood at Skipper's Fish Camp. [size=3 font="times new roman"].

Smokey Joe's BBQ @ State Hwy. 251, Darien, GA. 912 - 437 - 2555.

Skipper's Fish Camp @ 85 Screven St., Darien, GA 912 - 437 - 3474.

http://www.skippersfishcamp.com/

Get off I 95 at Exit 58 at Townsend, GA to the right on Highway 99 and go less than a mile to Highway 17. Turn left and go N about 2 miles to Pine Harbor Rd. Take a right and go E about 2 miles to Sepelo Station Crossing and fantastic fresh local seafood and hand cut steaks.

Sapelo Station Crossing @ 1172 Pine Harbor Marina Road, Townsend, GA 912 - 832 - 3555.

Get off I 95 at Exit 67 at Townsend, GA to the right and go S on Highway 17 for 1.2 miles then take a left going E onto Harris Neck Road just past a small church. Go 5.7 miles E to the Jessie Grant Road and look for the purple OSD sign on your left. Turn to the right at the sign for about 100 feet to Old School Diner for the best fresh seafood around. OSD is open for dinner Wednesday/Saturday and Noon to 10 PM on Sunday. They are closed on Monday and Tuesday. This might be the best road food you will have on your trip.

Old School Diner @ 1080 Jesse Grant Road, Townsend, GA 912 - 832 - 2136.

http://oldschooldiner.com/

Get off I 95 at Exit 76 at Midway, GA and go E on Highway 38 to Sunbury Rd. Take a left and go to Brigantine Dunmore Rd. Take a left and go to Sunbury Crab Co. which is open for dinner serving outstanding fresh seafood. This might be the best place you stop for the seafood is outstanding.

Sunbury Crab Co. @ 539 Brigantine Dunmore Road Midway, GA 912 - 884 - 8640.

http://sunburycrabco.wp.net/

Get off I 95 at Exit 87 at Richmond Hill, GA and go W on Highway 17 half a mile to Smoking Pig BBQ next to the BP Station on N side of Highway 17. The ribs and chicken are excellent. This is probably your best stop for BBQ in GA.

Smokin Pig BBQ @ 3986 U.S. 17, Richmond Hill, GA. 912 - 756 - 7850.

Get off I 95 at Exit 102 at Pooler. GA and go W on Highway 80 4/5 blocks to Don's Famous BBQ.

Don's Famous BBQ @ 217 US Highway 80 E., Pooler, GA 912 - 748 - 8400.

Get off I 95 at Exit 5 at Hardeville, SC and go S on Highway 17 which is Speedway Boulevard. Go 5.5 miles and take a left on Highway 170A which is S 27 34 and go 3.5 miles to Oakatie Highway. Take a right and go to The Pink Pig.

The Pink Pig @ 3508 South Okatie Highway, Hardeeville, SC 843 - 784 - 3635.

http://www.the-pink-pig.com/

Get off I95 at Exit 21 at Ridgeland, SC and go E on Grahamville Road to State Road S/27/13 and take a right. Take your next left and go to The Old House Smokehouse on Highway 336 or Old House Road for good steaks and seafood. Get off I 95 at Exit 21 at Ridgeland, SC and have great pulled or chopped port at BBQ Grill. They also have BBQ ribs and chicken. I think it's better than Dukes.

Old House Smokehouse @ Hwy. 462 @ hwy.336, Ridgeland, SC 843 - 258 - 4444.

BBQ Grill @ 8084 East Main St., Ridgeland, SC 843 - 645 - 4414.

Duke's BBQ @ 690 South Jacob Smart Blvd., Ridgeland, SC 843 - 726 - 6244.

Get off I 95 at Exit 38 at Yemassee, SC and go SE on Highway 68 to Castle Hall Road to Ray's Rib King for good BBQ.

Ray's Rib King @ 4 Castle Hall Road, Yemassee, SC 843 - 589 - 2919.

Get off I 95 at Exit 57 at Walterboro, SC for good BBQ @ Duke's. Low Country is good but Duke's is best.

Duke's BBQ @ 949 Robertson Blvd., Walterboro, SC 843 - 549 - 1446.

Low Country BBQ @ 635 South Jefferies Blvd., Walterboro, SC 843 - 549 - 8355.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help deciding area to stay - driving from Orlando, FL

Axle, why are you including AGAIN information posters do not ask for. You have these lists of eating places and you need to advertise them so often here on TA or what?

Charlotte, North...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help deciding area to stay - driving from Orlando, FL

Hi Noel,

Which weekend are you coming to Asheville?

I am getting married there Nov 12th and I have a block of rooms at the Sheraton 4 Points right downtown for 11/10, 11/11 & 11/12. Unfortunately, I booked more rooms then I needed on accident and they are now making me pay for 8 unused rooms, i'm so upset.

The rate for the public at the Sheraton is $229 but our room block is only $159. If you are coming that weekend and would like to book in our hotel block we would be SO thankful!

Just in case, here is the info.... 828.253.1851 and ask for Jordan Stewart and let her know that you need a room in the Margiotta/Lakin room block. Your card will not be charged until you check in.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

THANK YOU!!

Angela

Edited: 28 October 2011, 03:17
8. Re: Need help deciding area to stay - driving from Orlando, FL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 04:16