We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Lure and Asheville

Georgia
Level Contributor
243 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Lure and Asheville

Hello, I am about 2 hours from Asheville. I've decided to make a last minute trip there on Friday. I visited about 4 years ago and toured the Biltmore and did a little exploring downtown.

Most of the hotels are already booked that night where I'd like to stay or the cost is much more than I want to pay for the star level that I want. A friend suggested that I look into staying at Lake Lure for the night if I don't want to drive back that night. What do you all think? My plan would be arrive Fri morning and have lunch at a nice restaurant possibly the Grove Park Inn;explore downtown Asheville; dinner in Lake Lure; spend night; Sat morning leave.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
420 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Lure and Asheville

You will only find The Inn at Lake Lure and Lake Lure Lodge. Both are expensive. There are a few B&Bs around Chimney Rock, just a few miles out from Lake Lure.

If money is not an issue then eat at Grove Park, otherwise prepare to give an arm and a leg for marginally adequate food plus parking plus fighting the weekend crowds up there. You'd be better off finding a nice restaurant in downtown or the Biltmore Village and avoiding that Hot Mess at GPI alltogether. Downtown depends on your tastes but Packs Tavern is great, most anything on Biltmore Avenue or Lexington Avenue is good too. Corner Kitchen in the Biltmore Village is great as well. Allow 30-45 minutes to get to Lake Lure from Asheville, especially on a Friday evening.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Lure and Asheville

Did you try the Guesthouse Inn? Lake Lure is likely to be expensive & few (if any) vacancies...

Call (828) 274-0101 & ask for Manager's Special...

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Lure and Asheville

Brookstone Lodge is a great choice...not sure of availablity this weekend or not, but worth a try. www.brookstonelodgeasheville.com. Nice, clean hotel with a great breakfast.

Personally I think the drive to lake lure at night (if you are not used to it) would not be a great idea. Country roads that are dark and windy and I would imagine hard to drive at night.

Good luck.

Georgia
Level Contributor
243 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Lure and Asheville

Thanks for all of the responses. I hadn't thought about the fact that I'd be driving through Lake Lure after dark. I'm leaning to just going up to Asheville for the day at this point anyway. The hotel search is not working out.

Any must sees/must dos on a 1 day trip? I'm a minor league foodie and love wine.

Thanks

5. Re: Lake Lure and Asheville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2012, 05:19