We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Florida - Exhausted from hurricanes!!

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Port Orange, FL
1 post
Save Topic
From Florida - Exhausted from hurricanes!!

Hi,

The night before I had to evacuate for the 3rd time in 6 weeks, I was on the computer looking for another place to live. It sounds kind of funny now that I think about it. I have been in FL for the past 3 years unfortunately not by choice but by necessity. I lost my home with Charley, the 1st hurricane, and its been a nightmare ever since.

I would love to relocate somewhere in NC. I miss the seasons and am exhausted from natural disasters.

I keep looking at NC to move to, somewhere around Charlotte or Asheville. I have 2 small children, one will be starting kindergarden next year. I am looking for a nice small town that has a good school district.

Can you provide any information for me?

Thank you....

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,949 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Florida - Exhausted from hurricanes!!

I am so sorry for your loss, and all you have been going through. Florida has been in my thoughts and prayers since all these hurricanes began. We love Florida and travel there often. I can however, understand your need to move away. I'm sure with all you and your family has been through, you just don't feel safe anymore. We all need to feel safe at home. On your question about N.C. towns; Asheville, or Charlotte areas? Asheville is beautiful, and has a lot of culture. We have friends who live in Asheville and love it. I don't know much about small towns around there. I do know that the area was also hard hit by the hurricanes. The area suffered historic type flooding; the most devastating in small towns outside Asheville. The towns of Canton, and Clyde were almost completely destroyed. As much as I love the mountains, if you're weather fatigued, I wouldn't recommend moving there. I went to college to Boone, NC and although it was a great school, (Go ASU!) great town, and awesomely beautiful area, I wouldn't want to live there, especially with kids. Our local TV stations service that area as well, and so we see a lot that goes on there, plus I remember quite well from my own experiences. Those children up there miss many days of school every winter, sometimes it's so bad that they end up in school most of the summer. It is very difficult getting around up there during snow storms and the temperatures can drop way into the minuses. (I was there for the record setting temperature of -24 degrees!) I know that the Asheville area isn't "quite" as cold, but still too much weather fatigue for me! It is a short 2 hour drive so I love to visit when it's nice and then leave!

The Charlotte and surrounding areas are experiencing tremendous growth. Many small towns have been engulfed. The towns of Mint Hill, and Matthews are great little towns but the minute you drive out of their town limits you are now in the Charlotte city limits!

Even most of the surrounding counties, and their small towns are dealing with overcrowded schools, stressed resources, and huge traffic problems. The one county that seems to be growing slower, and does not have as many of those problems (yet) is Gaston County. The town of Belmont is experiencing some growth now, but is still a beautiful small town; they also have wonderful schools. It is a short drive into Charlotte. Gastonia is a much larger town and has some problem areas, but the South Gastonia area, out Union road, and South New Hope Rd. has some nice new housing and great schools. It is convenient to Charlotte, and both Belmont and Gastonia are near Lake Wylie, great for water sports. There's also a beautiful botanical garden there, rated one of the top in America.

As for natural disasters, we, in the Charlotte area haven't experienced one since 1989, (I'm "knocking on wood" as I type this) when Hurricane Hugo hit here. I remember the 2 weeks we had without power. It was so hot, (I know Florida is hotter!) we would basically sleep in the nude after covering ourselves with mosquito spray! Many homes had damage,(trees, wind, water) we fortunately did not.

One other area you may want to look at is the Greenville, S.C. area. It is an up and coming area with a great economy. Simpsonville, and several other small towns in the area are highly rated. Two of my best friends have moved there in the past year, and are both so happy with the quality of life there, including great schools. It is only an hour or so from both Asheville and Charlotte. The weather there is similar to Charlotte's.

Well, that's all I can think of around this area, I hope this has been some help.

My prayers and best wishes go out to you and your family! Take Care!

Houston, tx
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Florida - Exhausted from hurricanes!!

Hi crazzyquilter...

I just read your post, and I am wondering if you have made a decision yet, about your move to NC? I was born in Asheville, and grew up there. It is a wonderful town with loads of homespun culture, both for children, and adults. Much to choose from, and the people are all very friendly. Even though I moved away when I was about 20 to go to the big city of Atlanta, and have moved all over the south, I think that very soon we will decide to retire back to our roots, and again enjoy the mountains. They are always changing, and the road goes back and forth to the coast, somewhere..... if you long for the sand in your shoes. The people in Asheville who are life long residents, really hate to see their city growing so fast, but they know that it is inevitable, and good for the future of their young adults. I would highly recommend it if you want a family atmosphere for your children now, and a great city to always want to come home to.

I sell real estate in another state, but I know many of the Realtors in Asheville. If you want the name of a good one, I can highly recommend one. Email me at <sixdozenroses@sbcglobal.net > and I will send you their name. God bless you in making your decision.