We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biltmore Candlelight Christmas Tour or Regular Daytime Tour?

Charleston
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Biltmore Candlelight Christmas Tour or Regular Daytime Tour?

A friend is taking me to the Biltmore in 2 weeks for a birthday/Christmas present--and girls' weekend. It is my first visit, whereas she has been a few times. Should we do the nighttime candlelight tour or opt for the daytime tour? I don't want to miss out on anything (I understand the audio is not available at night), but would love to see the lights as well. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated...as well as dining suggestions?

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biltmore Candlelight Christmas Tour or Regular Daytime Tour?

Well there is something to be said to seeing the house all lit up with tree lights, candles and such. It really is very beautiful. You can't go wrong with a daytime tour either. You get to see all the decorations and can also see the beautiful views from the house of the mountains and the grounds which you would not be able to see during the evening.

I think either way you go you will be happy. Please know that they give timed entrances when things are busy and also in the evening, so please pay attention to that when planning. Have fun and happy birthday!!

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biltmore Candlelight Christmas Tour or Regular Daytime Tour?

Hello, I am just back!

If you are really into the house, as in Museum (which it certainly is!!! Vanderbilt was a collector of now priceless pieces!), then the daytime tour with the audio-guide would be necessary!

If it is a Christmas thing you are looking for, then a Candlelight Tour would be the thing to do... skipping the basement at night.

We quickly toured the main areas when we first arrived, and then went back after supper for the Christmas Candlelight. To be honest, there is not that much more lit up at night.... it is all modern electric christmas tree lights, and they are lit up all day as well. It is not like there are large windows with tons of natural light. So, even during the day, one can get some appreciation for the all the christmas trees and lights.

At night, they do have a choir in the main area as you enter. And there was a harp player up on the third floor. And, at night, they do have many of the main fireplaces going.

From the exterior, it is not like going and looking at Christmas lights. They have the one large tree in front of the house lit, all white, and that is about it. The interior lighting is not bright enough to really even illuminate the windows much.

It is a very beautiful and amazing place!

Hope this helps!

Edited: 01 December 2011, 03:13
U.S.
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biltmore Candlelight Christmas Tour or Regular Daytime Tour?

It might help if you posted...

Were you thinking of dining on the estate?

What type of dining/foods would you like?

4. Re: Biltmore Candlelight Christmas Tour or Regular Daytime Tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 18:17