We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay during Bele Chere with 10 & 12 yr olds?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
100 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay during Bele Chere with 10 & 12 yr olds?

We are festival-aholics and stumbled upon Asheville's Bele Chere while planning a mid-July week at the outer banks. As a Canadian family (eh!) on our 1st road trip to the southern USA, we would really appreciate any advice on where to stay on a budget during Bele Chere 2012.

I understand prices will be premium this weekend, but we are open to hotels/motels/B&Bs/hostels/condo rentals or whatever would make the most sense for convenience & budget.

Also, any advice on driving into the festival & parking, vs staying right nearby would be most appreciated. We are driving out of Asheville towards West Virginia to Buffalo so would also be grateful for any stops/highlights on the route in that direction. Thanks all for sharing your experiences! Love tripadvisor!!

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Asheville
Asheville
North Carolina Mountains, NC
West Virginia
West Virginia
United States
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Biltmore Admission with Self-Guided...
2 Reviews
from US$109.00*
Free Cancellation
Hiking Tour of Blue Ridge Parkway...
149 Reviews
from US$77.00*
Free Cancellation
Asheville Ghost Walking Tour and...
234 Reviews
from US$19.99*
Free Cancellation
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
100 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay during Bele Chere with 10 & 12 yr olds?

BTW, I think we'd all prefer to stay somewhere not too far out from the festival if possible. Do you think hostels would be a bad idea with tweens? I'm wondering if the partying/noise of the festival would be a really crazy? Not sure if Bele Chere is a crazy frat party type event, but I get the feeling it's very family friendly. Would love to enjoy some of the evening music shows with a glass of wine and not have to drive home....

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay during Bele Chere with 10 & 12 yr olds?

We love festivals, so Asheville's Bele Chere July 27 - 29 is likely to be a place we will go to - again this year.

There are really no hostels to speakd of in Ashville. The one place that is reasonable & family friendly (stayed there many times...) is

Country Inn & Suites:

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Check later for children's activities - around April 2012?

belecherefestival.com/ChildrensArea/tabid/91…

Mentioned in this post
Asheville
Asheville
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
100 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay during Bele Chere with 10 & 12 yr olds?

Thanks Sophie0811, that's awesome advice. I'll definitely be checking out the kids events as the summer draws nearer (in the Great White North, we are always looking fwd to summer!) And price range sounds ideal. My only objection would be that it seems like Country Inn & Suites would be a drive back and forth to the festival and since we're on vacation, we'd prefer walking distance if at all feasible.

Would save the hassle of negotiating a designated driver and/or trying to convince myself that since I haven't had a drink in 1/2 hr that it's ok to drive home in the dark on unfamiliar roads. Festival = party, and it's my vacay, after all.

Has anyone checked out any of the B&B's in downtown Asheville? Could they accommodate a family of 4 without having to book 2 separate rooms, I wonder?

Mentioned in this post
Asheville
Asheville
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay during Bele Chere with 10 & 12 yr olds?

We actually took a bus once (sorry, I can't remember the number) to almost downtown; you could Email Them" iride@ashevillenc.gov

Also, I think there are 2 other Country Inns - check the map; perhaps more convenient. Once we stayed in Indigo (more expensive), I am not sure if they also have family rooms, our room was very nice & clean, but relatively small. The cheapest rate: Hotels.com, probably..

Downtown Inn? Mixed reviews.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60742-d216959-…

Most B & B's in Ashville tend to be more upscale.

Expedia had a few specials on some hotels for your dates...

Perhaps Emailing for Public Transportation - to see which hotels would be easily accessible & which buses would run in the evening...

Mentioned in this post
Asheville
Asheville
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay during Bele Chere with 10 & 12 yr olds?

I've found Bus Routes; I guess Tunnel Rd to Downtown = No. 28; see other routes:

www.asheville.com/transportation/transit.html

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
100 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay during Bele Chere with 10 & 12 yr olds?

Sophie0811... THANK YOU for your generous advice! I'm sure bus would make perfect sense for us. Thanks for the tips and we will definitely check out your links and start booking soon for both Outer Banks and Asheville... I'm a little astounded at how many places we are just casually checking into in both places are already fully booked for summer?! I'm thinking I cannot be my usual disorganized self for this roadtrip. Great stuff, thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Outer Banks
Outer Banks
North Carolina Coast, NC
Asheville
Asheville
Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay during Bele Chere with 10 & 12 yr olds?

Hi there,

The Asheville CVB here. You could call the Crowne Plaza Resort (828-254-3211) and see if they are offering shuttle service to Bele Chere. They are located very close without you having to stay in the middle of the festival. If you did want to stay close to the action, then the Renaissance and Four Points might work well for you.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Asheville
Asheville
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
100 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay during Bele Chere with 10 & 12 yr olds?

Super, will check both! Thanks. Now also thinking Sat at Bele Chere and then Sunday at Biltmore. Sounds like there is a lot to see there. Keep the kids hopping! Any suggestions on places/activities/delicacies that should not be missed? Thanks all!

Charlottesville
Level Contributor
348 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay during Bele Chere with 10 & 12 yr olds?

I went to Bele Chere last year and had a great time. We stayed at the Sheraton Four Points, which was ideal for us because it's just a few blocks from the festival. There definitely were people who have been visibly drinking for awhile, both at the festival and staying at the Four Points (it's open container inside the festival boundaries with people walking around with beers and wine), but nothing close to a "frat party." During daylight/early evening hours I would say it's family friendly. In addition to all the live music, there's just as much arts displays of all kinds lining the streets, and checking out all the food vendors - half of which are run by local restaurants - was really fun! the food trucks and food stands go on and on and on! One of the few downsides to Bele Chere is that because they draw in so many people for the festival, it makes it tough to go to many of the local restaurants themselves. Some actually shut down during the festival.

As for parking, I got the impression it was kind of a hastle to drive and park, unless you're willing to pay $20 or whatever it is for the day. but i think a lot of the hotels which are more than a mile away offer shuttle service to and from, so i would just say contact as many hotels directly as possible. Just go down the trip advisor list. it's kinda pointless to offer specific suggestions because availability will be so limited you're going to have to take what you can get. But if you're willing to try to deal with the drive and park thing, and were willing to stay for 2 or 3 nights, there's a ton of beautiful houses/cabins 5-10 miles outside of town you can rent. places like vrbo.com have good selections, and they're often as cheap or cheaper than hotels, but offer things like tons of space, multiple BRs, full kitchen, washer/dryer, scenic views, etc. Might be worth considering.

oh, and by the way, if you guys are fans of really good high end craft beer, Asheville arguably has the best beer selection on the east coast. better per capita than NY or Philly. Make sure to stop by the Thirsty Monk and Jack of the Woods!

Edited: 30 May 2012, 21:13
Mentioned in this post
Asheville
Asheville
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
100 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay during Bele Chere with 10 & 12 yr olds?

Yankeebasebal, that is really good info. Thanks for all that! Glad to hear Bele Chere is not too much of a kegger! Kids have been all over and attended the full spectrum of events with us, but so far, no frat parties. Phew! Seems a lot of the downtown restaurants also provide food for the festival, which is great, so I'm hoping we will get to sample something other than corndogs (actually, my fave) on Sat. I'm hoping we'll get a nice lunch in while at the Biltmore on Sun so that should make up for it all. Thirsty Monk is now on my checklist. We will do our Canadian duty and definitely sample the local brews (good gifts!).

Four Points and Indigo were my 1st choices, as walking is a priority and we've decided to try and avoid the bus. But have chosen otherwise, motivated by savings. Based on positive TripAdvisor reviews, I've now convinced the family (mostly my husband) to go back to our backpacker roots, and booked 1 night at the the Asheville Hostel (http://aahostel.com/). Saving about $150 and free parking (about $250 @ Four Points vs $100 @ hostel for all 4 of us).

It's only 1 night and we'll be hanging out at the festival a few blocks away anyhow. Sharing a bathroom for 1 night should be manageable. The payoff for my hubbie is that we can stay somewhere swankier after the Biltmore on Sunday. Seems like loads of hotels in that direction.

Thanks everyone for the great advice and generous guidance!!

Edited: 31 May 2012, 03:58
Mentioned in this post
Asheville
Asheville