We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help Convincing My Husband :-)

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help Convincing My Husband :-)

Ok, for the past couple of yrs. my husband and I have been going to Myrtle Beach for our end of summer vacay. The last time we went was nice but as everyone knows the beach has kind of become overpriced. So, I've seen ads for the Biltmore in Asheville and it's caught my attention. My husband on the other hand...not so much. His complaint is...once we tour the estate, then what? I've put my foot in my mouth by saying that there is PLENTY to do when I really don't have any idea as to what there is to do in Asheville. So, I'm looking for any and all suggestions on things to do and where to go. We're a casual, laid back couple that enjoys being out and about while on vacay but also staying in an hotel that feels relaxing and comfortable and a part of the downtown atmosphere. Please help...because I plan on giving him an itenerary and budget (yes, really ;-) on the pros of going to Asheville.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
420 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help Convincing My Husband :-)

Hmmmm. You might start with the most informative links available.

www.exploreasheville.com

That one has tons of good info.

www.romanticasheville.com Also great info.

Asheville is now home to 10 Breweries and is also known as "Beer City USA."

You can hunt for antiques, ride the Blue Ridge Parkway, walk around downtown and shop at Mast General Store. There are lots of great restaurants and bars. You might also align your schedule to when the Asheville Tourists baseball team is playing. They are the club team for the Colorado Rockies, got a beautiful little ballpark right near downtown.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help Convincing My Husband :-)

Beautiful hiking, GREAT independent restaurants, TONS of Breweries to choose from, Biltmore Estate not only has the "house" but the grounds are spectacular. You can "hike" on the grounds, visit the winery, eat at several of their restaurants.

This truly depends on what your like and dislikes are, but here are some suggestions:

-LaZoom Comedy Tour - You WILL laugh! You can bring a cooler on the bus too if you like

-Brews Cruise - Takes you to several breweries to sample brews and learn about the breweries

-Hike Dupont Forest - relatively easy hikes with beautiful waterfalls

-Drive out to Lake Lure one day and go to Chimney Rock and you can even dip your toes into the Lake and/or take a boat cruise around the lake

-Downtown Asheville is a great walking city -- walk the Urban Trail and take in the sights along the way

-Biltmore Estate - ask at your hotel about tickets...most hotels have 2 days for the price of 1 day tix on sale.

-Tons of restuarants to choose from

-Hotels downtown are 4 Points by Sheraton, Renaissance, and Indigo.

-If you have specific likes or dislikes, let us know and we can steer you in the right direction.

Have FUN! I'm a little partial because I live here, but I LOVE it here!!

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help Convincing My Husband :-)

oh-- and check out the drumming circle at Pritchard Park...entertaining to say the least. :o)

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help Convincing My Husband :-)

Hi there,

The Asheville CVB here. You didn't put your foot in your mouth. You can always find a ton of activities, events and festivals going on in this town. Your husband may be poo-pooing it right now, but he will be pleasantly surprised once you get him up here.

The recommendations above are great, and those are just a sampling of what you can do. If you two enjoy delicious farm-to-table food, craft beer direct from the brewery, unique shops (not chains!) and people watching in a funky atmosphere, then you need to visit.

The mountains are also the perfect way to cool off from those oppressive Triangle temps in the summer.

Also, we're incredibly pet-friendly, so bring your cute dog with you. Dogs can join you for outdoor dining and are welcome inside some area businesses like the Battery Park Book Exchange and Champagne Bar.

Happy planning and good luck convincing your husband! He doesn't know what he's missing.

Sharpsburg, Georgia
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help Convincing My Husband :-)

I don't mind at all being dragged to Asheville.

There's more good food than you could possibly eat in a month.

Plenty of trails to hike or walk or ride.

The furniture and old cars at the Grovesner are definitely worth a trip.

Some of the art galleries are just strange, but there's others with mighty impressive work in them.

You can wake up every morning and decide if you want to go see some natural beauty, or wander around town, or view some truly unique architecture, or sit on the porch and read with a bucket of beer, or what.

And you can get a perfect meal every night of the weeek.

FL
Level Contributor
250 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help Convincing My Husband :-)

not just Asheville, there's plenty more to do within driving distance of Asheville if you don't mind logging some miles on your car. if he gets bored you can take off to the Great Smokies National park, drive the Blue Ridge Parkway, hike Max Patch Bald, visit some smaller mountain towns, etc. but ultimately it comes down to what you want in a vacation. Do you prefer ocean or mountains? Do you want a place designed for and marketed to vacationers or a more cosmopolitan city? you won't run out of things to do in and around Asheville but you may have to take the initiative to do the planning.

you did mention cost. unfortunately you probably won't find Asheville less expensive than myrtle beach.

Edited: 29 March 2012, 06:36
7. Re: Need Help Convincing My Husband :-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2013, 00:43
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Help Convincing My Husband :-)

Hey ourstate. are you a state owned website or private? looks like you are a for profit website and your only goal here is to pimp your own product? Is that true?? I have nothing against that but TA has rules and just trying to figure out if you are running afoul of them.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Help Convincing My Husband :-)

Our State is a very nice magazine that promotes NC and interesting places to visit throughout the state.

Not sure about the TA bylaws or Our State's ownership.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Help Convincing My Husband :-)

The general rule is no self promotion which includes lodging, restaurants, mags, etc.

although very nice, it isn't fair to other nice mags for one to get free publicity that others may be paying for with placed ads but I will leave it up to the regulars here to police that.