We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asheville NC Weather

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
7 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Asheville NC Weather

We are planning a trip to Asheville, NC for mid-to late May 2012. I am wondering if anyone knows if the chances are good that it will be warm enough then to do some white water rafting? If not, when is the best month to raft?

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asheville NC Weather

Outside temps are fine but the water is still really cold that time of year. Best to hit july or august. And the best white water is near the TN border, not Asheville which sits in a valley and the main river, french broad, is rather calm. Not sure if you knew that or not.

Edited: 17 March 2012, 01:56
Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Asheville NC Weather

Hi there,

The Asheville CVB here. The water temps will remain cool throughout the year so if you raft at Nantahala (for example) the water will feel about the same in May as it would in the hotter months of the summer. With the warm temps we've been having this year I would say go for it!

Asheville is in close proximity to multiple rafting ventures including the French Broad, Nantahala and Tuckasegee Rivers. Here's some tips and trip ideas...

exploreasheville.com/things-to-do/…

Have fun!

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asheville NC Weather

Asheville CVB for some reason never mentions Green River Rapids near Saluda. It's an amazing spot and less frequented. It is much easier and quicker access from Asheville to Green River than to Nantahala.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
7 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Asheville NC Weather

No, I did not know that. I appreciate your tips. Thanks!

5. Re: Asheville NC Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 07:42