We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat? Greenville to Chimney Rock to Asheville

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
62 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Where to eat? Greenville to Chimney Rock to Asheville

We will be visiting Asheville in May, flying into Greenville. I was thinking of stopping at Chimney Rock on our drive up to Asheville. It looks like many parts are closed until "Spring"--is it still worth a stop? Is there another scenic stop along the way she could consider?

Where should we stop and eat along the way? We like most food--especially brewpubs.

Thanks!

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat? Greenville to Chimney Rock to Asheville

If you decide to take I-26 west to Asheville or at least to the Saluda exit I highly recommend Purple Onion in Saluda. This is a great place opened for lunch and dinner. Food is creative, fresh and always reliable. http://www.purpleonionsaluda.com/

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat? Greenville to Chimney Rock to Asheville

Hi there,

The Asheville CVB here. If you're into brewpubs then be sure to visit the Lexington Avenue Brewery (LAB). They're a fantastic gastropub in the heart of downtown. Other great places are The Lobster Trap, The Admiral and Storm Rhum Bar and Bistro.

Chimney Rock is definitely worth the visit. The parts of the park that are offline now should be coming back online soon. You will still be able to access the coolest part which is the actual rock with sweeping views. There's some restaurants nearby, some that sit right on Lake Lure. They might not be brewpubs per se, but the scenery is nice.

Have fun!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat? Greenville to Chimney Rock to Asheville

Stop by Binion's Roadhouse at Exit 49 in Hendersonville.

yelp.com/biz/binions-roadhouse-hendersonville

4. Re: Where to eat? Greenville to Chimney Rock to Asheville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2013, 00:43
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to eat? Greenville to Chimney Rock to Asheville

I would never recommend Binion's Roadhouse. Two disappointing experiences. Service and food were only OK.

Edited: 21 March 2012, 16:26
Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
62 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to eat? Greenville to Chimney Rock to Asheville

Thanks for all the great advice. We are thinking of stopping at the Flat Rock Bakery, which comes highly recommended on Chowhound.

Now we are wondering which actually would be better to visit in Mid-May--Chimney Rock or DuPont State Forest. We probably only have time for one. We don't mind hiking a bit. And I'm a big Hunger Games fan :-)

Sara

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to eat? Greenville to Chimney Rock to Asheville

If it was me I would hike Dupont Forest. The waterfalls are much better than Chimney Rock. It is FREE too.

8. Re: Where to eat? Greenville to Chimney Rock to Asheville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2013, 09:22