We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving the BRP (and Skyline)- rental car advice please

Herts, UK
Level Contributor
117 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Driving the BRP (and Skyline)- rental car advice please

Hi - we are nailing down the length of time and places to stay along the way, but another question comes to mind.

We're picking up a rental on arrival from UK in Greenville and finishing some 9-10 days later in DC. It'll be 2nd half of August and just the two of us.

Convertible? SUV (not necessarily 4x4/ AWD)? or standard?

These are listed in order of preference (mine) but will only take convertible if there's general consensus we'd get good use of top down driving, or whether for any variety of reasons, a convertible is to be avoided.

Thanks again

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,385 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving the BRP (and Skyline)- rental car advice please

Anything should be fine. A convertible would probably be pretty fun. You certainly don't need 4wd. It's all paved. Fairly winding and some hills of course, but nothing that even the most under-powered rental car can't handle.

Sevierville...
Level Contributor
32 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving the BRP (and Skyline)- rental car advice please

I drive it all the time in a Nissan Sentra and love it. The convertible, if the weather is good would be a blast but any car should be fun and should tackle the road without any problem.

Charlottesville
Level Contributor
333 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving the BRP (and Skyline)- rental car advice please

I live about 15 miles from the BRP in Virginia and every time I have access to a convertible, I immediately take it for a drive up Skyline Drive/BRP. I would definitely recommend a convertible. here's hoping it doesn't rain!

there's no need at all for a four wheel drive vehicle if you're sticking to the BRP/Skyline, unless you have something specific in mind off the beaten path.

as for quick suggestions for things to do, while driving through Virginia, there's a relatively short, easy to moderate hike you can do up Humpback Rock (40 minutes up, 25 back) with a great scenic view at the top, then cross over the Blue Ridge past Wintergreen ski resort to have lunch or dinner and beer tasting at Devil's Backbone Brewery or Blue Mountain Brewery. Also some really good vineyards for wine tasting you'll pass on the way too.

4. Re: Driving the BRP (and Skyline)- rental car advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 06:42