We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for a hiking family?

Suwanee, Georgia
Level Contributor
9 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for a hiking family?

We are planning a week long trip to Asheville end of June. We have taken quick weekends and gone to Biltmore but this time we are wanting to take our time and do a lot of hiking, sightseeing, and eating!

We have done week long trips in Gatlinburg area and spent our days filled with hiking and then going out to eat at night at local establishments.

We have generally rented cabins. I am debating or figuring out what area to stay in to get in some major hiking followed by nighttime good eats. We have a 15 yr old and a 10 yr old that have been on long hikes and short hikes with us so they are acclimated to daily hiking on easy to streneous hikes.

We like to follow up these long days of hikings with enjoying good food and drink at night.

So, the big questions...where to stay? Asheville hiking is definitely more spread out then Gatlinburg area hiking where we just drive into the National Park and pick a hike.

Cabin? What area? (love cabins, love the hot tubs)

Home in downtown Asheville? (seems central and walking distance to all the dining)

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Asheville
Asheville
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for a hiking family?

Check VRBO for cabins around Brevard. Great hiking in that area at Dupont and Pisgah - and the NC Arborteum closer to Asheville. Waterfalls too! Excellent restaurants in Brevard and Hendersonville.

Mentioned in this post
Brevard
Brevard
Asheville
Asheville
Hendersonville
Hendersonville
North Wilkesboro...
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for a hiking family?

I agree with bud41....Transylvania Co is the land of the waterfalls...about 250 they claim. Dupont Forest is where the waterfall/water scenes of the Hunger Games was filmed. The falls are great. The hiking great. Brevard is full of great restaurants. I spent 2 nights there this past Feb...hiking and eating a bit. Now, heading back for another couple of nights....and to share this great spot with my hubby and daughter.

Mentioned in this post
Brevard
Brevard
Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for a hiking family?

I agree with the other 2 posters. Brevard is an outdoor haven. Check vrbo.com for cabins. Highways 276 and 215 are great drives, Take the kids to Sliding Rock off highway 276. Heck you may even like it.

I also suggest the fish hatchery off 276. You can feed the trout and there is a nice indoor display. It is free. Google Looking Glass Falls and Sliding Rock.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Brevard
Brevard
Sliding Rock
Sliding Rock
733 Reviews
Pisgah Forest, NC
4. Re: Where to stay for a hiking family?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 22:15