We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Bars in Asheville Area?

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Carrboro, North...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best Bars in Asheville Area?

Hoping to get a few suggestions about where to find good brews in Asheville. Love breweries and local dives.

Thanks!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Bars in Asheville Area?

Jack of the Wood is a good one. The Bier Garden is fun too.

http://http://www.ashevillebiergarden.com/

http://www.ashevillebiergarden.com/

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Bars in Asheville Area?

Kelly,

You've asked a question that would not be considered overly broad anywhere except Asheville.

Jack of the Wood is a good pub with good English-style pub food, good house brews and live music frequently. Same for LAB (Lexington Avenue Brewery), except LAB has broader choices for each and more locals, less tourists. Barleys Pizza and Taproom has a tremendous selection of local and regional beers on tap, great pizza and frequent live music. Packs Tavern has tremendous bar and beer selection and frequent music on weekends. Thirsty Monk has lots of brews, a special bar for Belgium-style brews, no music. Asheville Pizza and Brewery has ....great pizza, great pub food, and great brews. These all downtown within easy walking distance of each other. With a car you can go to Wedge Brewery in the River Arts district, several blocks southwest of downtown, Highland Brewery and Tasting Room west of downtown , Pisgah Brewing east of downtown . Wedge and Pisgah have live music. Asheville Pizza and Brewery North, about 3 miles north of downtown, has the same great pizza, pub food and beer as the downtown location PLUS $3 movies all day long. As noted above, Biegarden downtown has lots of beers , good food and sports on lots of TV's.

These are just the brew pubs close to downtown and the breweries. There are lots more great dive bars , music clubs, we even have a couple dance clubs. It all depends on what you want

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Bars in Asheville Area?

^ Mangon has already mentioned many of my favorites. And he's right...you can pretty much just park anywhere downtown, set out on foot, and accidentally bump into a number of great places.

Mangon, a question--I haven't been to Wedge yet, but I hear their brews are excellent. I couldn't tell from their web site...is it set up like a bar, or is it only tours w/tastings? Do they have food as well? I definitely want to try their beers, but I'd like some idea of what I'm getting into.

Thanks,

arby

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
420 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Bars in Asheville Area?

NO food at the Wedge.

Don't go to the BierGarden. That place is a dive with horrible staff.

Thirsty Monk has the best beer selection besides Barleys. Also check out the Sky Club, Rankin Vault, Magnolia Lounge at the Grove Park Inn, Sazerac, the Barcade on College street.

Just to clarify some mistakes.....Highland Brewing Co is Southeast of downtown, not west. Pisgah Brewing Co. is actually 15-20 min east of downtown near Black Mountain.

Green Man Brewing in downtown has great beers, a nice bar and free pretzels with yummy local mustard.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Bars in Asheville Area?

Thanks GPIfan. So does Wedge have a bar where you can just walk in and start drinking, or is it just a tasting room setup?

I haven't been to Biergarden in several years, but at the time it was okay as I recall. Sorry to hear they've apparently lost some ground. And I wasn't a huge fan of LAB's beers--okay, but not spectacular. The location and ambience were good, though, but it seemed it was packed with tourists when I was there a few months ago.

I really like Barley's. Great selection of beers, and the staff always seems helpful and friendly. Good pizza downstairs, pool tables upstairs...what's not to like?

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,038 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Bars in Asheville Area?

Don't forget Highland! http://www.highlandbrewing.com/

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Bars in Asheville Area?

The Bywater

The Wedge

DeSoto Lounge (West Asheville)

Carrboro, North...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Bars in Asheville Area?

Great! Thank you!

9. Re: Best Bars in Asheville Area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 07:15