We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Weekend - Inn at Biltmore vs Grove Park Inn

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
252 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic Weekend - Inn at Biltmore vs Grove Park Inn

Hi all,

My wife and I are planning a romantic weekend in Asheville the first week of November to celebrate out fifth anniversary. We would ideally like very upscale accommodations including a beautiful view. We've been looking at the Inn at Biltmore as well as Grove Park Inn. We love Biltmore Estate but we've also always wanted to stay at GPI based on past recommendations, but the recent reviews worry us. Can anyone provide any pros vs cons for the two properties? We've also seen good reviews for the Grand Bohemian.

Additionally, we'd like to find an incredible restaurant or two for dinners. We definite enjoy 4-5 star restaurants, and would prefer something local farm to table if possible. Any recommendations regarding top restaurants would be appreciated as we'll. Thanks in advance!

LTJ

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
50 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Weekend - Inn at Biltmore vs Grove Park Inn

First off all I can not recommend the Grand Bohemian. I have stayed there and found the staff extremely rude.

If you want to add a 3rd upscale, then I would suggest the Haywood Park Hotel which is also historic and quite lovely located in the heart of uptown Asheville over the Grand Bohemian.

Both the Grove Park Inn and The Inn at Biltmore are very beautiful places to stay and I can recommend either one. The Grove Park Inn is a bit further out if you are visiting the Biltmore. It is beautiful and has a rich history in the city. It is on the national registry and one of the historic hotels of America so I prefer staying in older historical properties. But if you are planning on using their spa, then it can sometime be more difficult to obtain.

The Inn at Biltmore is of course more modern and I like being on the Biltmore property, especially if you are planning on visiting Biltmore. One of the things I enjoy there is afternoon tea. That is the weekend that the Biltmore House is ready for the holidays during the day so I highly recommend it.

If you check their websites both of them offer up packages so you may want to look at that.

The Dining Room at the Inn at Biltmore is amazing and the meat is raised on the property. The Sunset Terrance at the Grove Park Inn has incredible food and stunning views of the mountains and is very romantic. I also love Tupelo Honey located downtown. There are views of downtown or quite nice or sit at the bar area so you can enjoy watching the cooks prepare their creations. They are very much into using local produce. Table of Asheville is farm to table and rustic yet very romantic http://tableasheville.com. Also while not upscale, but a definite recommend especially for breakfast is the Corner Kitchen at the Biltmore Village and is one of the few original buildings to when George Vanderbilt developed the village for his workers. And the president has dined here, so hard to argue with that. http://www.thecornerkitchen.com

So I hope that helps!

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Weekend - Inn at Biltmore vs Grove Park Inn

^ Good info above. But I have to say stay at the Grove Park, hands down. It's such a unique and historic place, one of those "everyone should do this at least once in their life" kind of places. Ask for a room in the old (main) part of the hotel, with a mountain view (you should have no trouble getting this in November if you reserve soon). The GPI gets lots of character and charm points--a human-attended old fashioned elevator, huge fireplaces in the main lobby, wooden rocking chairs out front, photos of celebrities who have stayed there, amazing views, etc. A slight word of caution about the food, though. It's not bad by any means, but many would tell you it's not the best available in Asheville (and it's extremly pricey). The main draw of the GPI restaurants is the view they offer, and the food is good enough that it is worthwhile if you want to experience it. But if food is your main focus, IMO your money is better spent at a place like Admiral or Table, just because they do it so well. Or you can kill two birds by having sunset cocktails at the GPI, then going somewhere else for dinner. Oh, and try Early Girl for breakfast--none better!

Good luck!

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Weekend - Inn at Biltmore vs Grove Park Inn

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60742-i251-k58242…

You might want to ask GPIfan more about this. I have not been to the Grove Park Inn in several months.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
252 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic Weekend - Inn at Biltmore vs Grove Park Inn

Everyone, thanks so much for the info. I was able to get an incredible rate for a king room with mountain view at GPI and was somehow able to book most of the spa treatments my wife is wanting.

Per several suggestions I think we're going to do one dinner at Admiral and one at the restaurant at the Inn at Biltmore. We'll also probably try a lunch at GPI and a breakfast at Tupelo Honey. Does anyone have additional reccomendations for one more special dinner out? Something fantastic.

Also, can anyone reccomend a spa for my wife to get a manicure and pedicure? Somewhere upscale? That was the one thing we couldn't get into GPI's spa for.

Thanks in advance! LTJ

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic Weekend - Inn at Biltmore vs Grove Park Inn

Our room at the Inn at Biltmore was gorgeous, spacious, terrace to the outdoors, huge bath, robes and slippers. Friendly employees, convenient shuttles to Biltmore House, day and night, all the restaurants (great), winery etc. Wonderful experience!

Friend suggested we have drinks at GPI, but time ran out. Hope to visit there in future.

If you want to concentrate on the Biltmore, I'd stay at Inn at Biltmore--they seem to stay booked way ahead :-)

Edited: 18 September 2013, 04:52
chicago
Level Contributor
205 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic Weekend - Inn at Biltmore vs Grove Park Inn

What floors are the terrance rooms located? Thinking of staying here in August and not sure what room to request. Thanks

7. Re: Romantic Weekend - Inn at Biltmore vs Grove Park Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 04:22