We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytime Ticket or Candlelight Christmas Evenings Ticket

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Daytime Ticket or Candlelight Christmas Evenings Ticket

Hey, Dad & DD21 coming for Asheville for 2 nights over 23-25th Dec, with the 24th, Christmas Eve being our full day in Asheville. I'm unsure which tickets to go for, should we just do the regular tour or as we there at Christmas take advantage as do the evening tour? which I think is about $10 extra. I've heard though on the evening tour you miss out of some of the daytime sights.

The next day Christmas Day we'll be heading straight to Charleston, so won't have any time to spend in Asheville, and at the moment I'm sure what time we'll be arriving in Asheville on the 23rd, we'll be coming in from the Smokies Mountains NP.

Opinions, thoughts please...

Thanks, Emma

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
50 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytime Ticket or Candlelight Christmas Evenings Ticket

The nice thing about the candlelight tour tickets is that it does allow you to tour the outside the same day or the following day during the day.

The candlelight tour is something that should not be missed. The home is at its most beautiful by candlelight and they have performances by choirs, dancers, etc in the evening. But if you have never been here before you do miss out on the beauty of the home during the day.

But there is nothing that you will miss inside if you only do the candlelight tour.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytime Ticket or Candlelight Christmas Evenings Ticket

I was thinking maybe the Candlelight, you can't do it on the 24th though, so I could go it on the 23rd, and then the next day 24th come and see the grounds of Biltmore...

Few questions, what time do you recommend booking for the Candlelight the earliest slot which is around 5ish?

Then also, when touring the Biltmore do you just wander around by yourself.. no one is guiding you?

How do you get between the sights in Biltmore, do you drive your car or take a shuttle, as I can see some places are 5miles between each other?

Western North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytime Ticket or Candlelight Christmas Evenings Ticket

I would get the earlier tickets! Then you & your family can enjoy the house for as long as you like without rushing. The house takes about 1.5-2 hrs to see. The music & singers sound particularly beautiful in the Winter Garden room. Also, the drive to the parking area and the shuttle take about 1 hr so you will want to plan accordingly. Hope this helps!

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
50 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daytime Ticket or Candlelight Christmas Evenings Ticket

Getting the earlier ticket is a good idea especially if you will be visiting the house during the day and then doing the candlelight tour and then dinner. It will make along day of it.

I have generally always walked from the parking lot to the house since you can walk in about 15 minutes vs waiting forever on the shuttle.

The house is do at your own pace and a audio guide can be rented. But the rooms just flow naturally from one to the other. Start out on the bottom and then make your way to the next level.

If you are planning on headng out to the wineries, I would do them before or after your tour. I would not suggest touring, taking a break at the wineries, and then going back to the house. I always hit there last and drive on out from there.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daytime Ticket or Candlelight Christmas Evenings Ticket

Sorry bit confused here:

"Also, the drive to the parking area and the shuttle take about 1 hr so you will want to plan accordingly"

"I have generally always walked from the parking lot to the house since you can walk in about 15 minutes vs waiting forever on the shuttle."

If I'm understanding this right the walk from the parking lot is 15mins, but takes an hr on the shuttle. Surely the shuttle should only take about 5mins??

I assume it's quickers then to walk to the house, then wait for the shuttle? But looks at the Biltmore Map it's must depend on which lot your put in, I also assume you drive from the Ticket Centre to the parking lot, then can either take the shuttle or walk?

Apologies if I'm making this more than it should be!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
176 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daytime Ticket or Candlelight Christmas Evenings Ticket

The drive from the gate to the parking lots is a bit of a drive. Then if you have to pick up your tickets, you'll stop and get those at the gatehouse center. Then you have to park, and walk to the shuttle. Of course the shuttle will wait to fill up, so if you are one of the first to get on, you will wait for awhile. Then it is a curving road that takes you to the house. So that is where all the time is if you take the shuttle. Walking, though, is cutting through the woods on a path. The drawback to that, is weather and wildlife. The shuttle is heated and takes you to the door of the Biltmore, which is nice especially if it is raining or snowing. We walked our first couple visits there, but have always shuttled after that. We always have a package or two as well, so it is nice to just get on the shuttle and be dropped off by our car.

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
50 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daytime Ticket or Candlelight Christmas Evenings Ticket

The shuttles make a full loop throught the property and have to wait for everyone to get on. Especially at opening and closing times So if you are able to walk, it is only about a 15 minute walk to the parking lot to the house. The only time I have ever taken the shuttle was when I was with my grand mother.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
420 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Daytime Ticket or Candlelight Christmas Evenings Ticket

Please go to the website for best information.

http://www.biltmore.com/

9. Re: Daytime Ticket or Candlelight Christmas Evenings Ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2013, 09:15