We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Biltmore with little ones?

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wadsworth, Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The Biltmore with little ones?

I planned to stop overnight in Asheville on our way to FL and tour the Biltmore. I'm worried our 3yr & 4yr olds just aren't old enough. I don't see a problem with our 4yr old, he listens fairly well in public. On the other hand our 3yr old is rambunctious and has a mind of his own at times. Would it be appropriate to bring them or would you wait until they are older? TIA

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Biltmore with little ones?

I would wait until they are older, especially with the rambunctious three year old:-). At that age, the kids probably will have little to no interest in the house, and it may annoy the other guests if he's super loud or running around.

We took our kids this past May; they were 9,9, and 8 at the time. They did really good, but got bored with the gardens, and wanted to walk through the house at a fairly fast pace;-). I sent Dh ahead with them while I took my time. There was a family in there with several little ones, including a toddler in a stroller who was crying. They were walking through really fast; we never saw them again except at the very begining so I'm guessing they went through as fast as possible and got the heck out of there;-)!

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Biltmore with little ones?

I appreciate you asking this question and agree with the above answer. Although I have seen a few very young children at the Biltmore house, it is not a good place to bring them. It is truly a massive museum and there is nothing to interest young children. And if you are trying to manage a rambunctious child, you won't enjoy it either.....plus you'll probably make a few enemies there, people who are trying to enjoy their day there. Come back when they are middle school age, when they can not only behave, but understand the history and appreciate the grandeur of the home.

NC
Level Contributor
405 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Biltmore with little ones?

I agree - Biltmore is not for young children. I used to accompany sixth grade classes and most of them enjoyed it...I wouldn't go much younger than that.

Wadsworth, Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: The Biltmore with little ones?

So far I'm liking these answers of waiting, lol. My hubby wants to see the Biltmore, I really don't care to (not to sound rude, it's just not my interest) We'll most likely take that day and find another activity in the area. Thanks

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Biltmore with little ones?

Good call, Mountainbeach. You would be miserable and everyone around you would be miserable. I cringe just thinking about being in your shoes there.

If the Biltmore is at the absolute top of your husband's bucket list, give him a day by himself at the Biltmore and you take the kids somewhere else.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Biltmore with little ones?

Fair weather options are driving up the Blue Ridge Parkway to Graveyard Fields for an easy paved walk down to interesting bridges, creek, waterfall, etc. for good rewards. The trail has thick rhododendron flanking both sides and even some areas with rhodo tunnels and some large rock formations with narrow fortress like trails around them. Bad weather options include The Health Adventure Museum, Asheville's Fun Depot, or Mountain Adventure Lodge. All are indoors.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
54 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Biltmore with little ones?

My daughter was 12 when we first took her to the Biltmore House. By that time she was old enough not only to appreciate what she was seeing but also mindful that others were trying to enjoy it also. So I totally agree with the above poster probably 6th grade and up is the most appropriate age.

8. Re: The Biltmore with little ones?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2014, 07:18