We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to Linville Falls

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Harlow, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to Linville Falls

Hi,

As part of a longer Road Trip I want to drive from Asheville to Linville Falls in one day in early April.

I had hoped to drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway but see from the Park's website that the BRP is shut for maintenance work until "mid April".

Would someone be kind enugh to suggest the shortest possible route from Asheville that will get me back onto the BRP north of the closure.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6,849 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to Linville Falls

One of the Asheville folks may respond with a recommendation based on more current info, but I think what I would do to bypass that section of the Parkway is go up I-26/19/23 (all the same road for a bit leaving Asheville) and then take a turn toward the east either on 197 (your first option), Paint Fork Rd (small road, but it'll get you there), or Hwy 19. All three will take you to Burnsville. From Burnsville take 19E to Spruce Pine and from Spruce Pine it's just a short jump back to the Parkway. It's been several years since I've been up that way, but it's all beautiful country through there. We went to Burnsville several years ago and looked at some land down on Paint Fork Rd, I believe. The easiest route would be to take I-26 to 19 and take 19 into Burnsville and Spruce Pine. From Spruce Pine if you take Grassy Creek Rd/226 that should put you on the Parkway right at the Museum of NC Minerals.

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to Linville Falls

It all depends on when and where they re-open the Parkway. Most commonly, they open from NC 80, so folks can head south on BRP to access Mt. Mitchell. NC80 is best accessed from Asheville by taking I-40 east to Old Fort , take US 70 east to NC 80 then NC 80 north to the Parkway ( a very twisty road). The alternative is take I40 east all the way to Marion, take the NC 221 by-pass around Marion to NC 226 north to the Parkway at Little Switzerland, south of Spruce Pine.

The northern route of I-26 west to NC 19 east to Burnsville then south on NC 80 through Celo or continuing on to Spruce Pine and then head south on NC 226 will get you there but its a lot longer.

Harlow, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to Linville Falls

Thank you both very much for your very helpful suggestions. I will have them with us when we arrive in Asheville in three weeks or so and I will use them according to what parts of the Parkway have been opened.

4. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to Linville Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 05:16