We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any good local sites/blogs/sources for weather info?

Alabama
Level Contributor
191 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Any good local sites/blogs/sources for weather info?

As I've posted before in a couple of other inquiries, the family and I will be in Ashville from March 22-26 for a vacation. We are trying to get a handle on what the weather is going to be like. I'm aware from searching the posts here that the weather is ever-changeable up there. It does appear that there may be some rain that weekend, but we don't care, we just want to get out of OUR city and come to YOUR city, and we'll have a good time and make the best of it, LOL!

The only thing we are concerned about is doing the Biltmore on the day with the least rain possibilities, so that we can really wander around the grounds and see the place (my wife and I were there last year, on a day in May when it wasn't just unseasonably hot but the humidity was monsoon-like, and quite frankly we were miserable and weren't up to really checking everything out, pretty much wilted walking down to the greenhouse). That's a priority because we want to buy our tickets 7 days out to get the discount.

I've checked all of the national weather sites (Accuweather, Weather Channel, Weather Underground, etc.) for extended forecasts ... and so help me, their forecasts for Asheville are so blasted different they might as well be talking about three completely different cities in different hemispheres.

I've checked the TV stations there and the weather parts of their websites aren't that hot, plus they only have seven-day extended forecasts. Where I'm at, we have a lot of local meteorological blogs and websites where people offer a lot better and more local-specific weather info that you can get from other sources. Anything like that in the Asheville area that I might could consult to get better weather info?

I know it's a gamble and forecasts change, as noted we're coming and we'll have fun even if there's a deluge, we're just trying to pin down when to order Biltmore tickets for and I've got to do that pretty soon. Thanks!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,729 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any good local sites/blogs/sources for weather info?

I've seen mountain folks post raysweather.com from time to time. Here's his Asheville forecast: ashevilleweather.com/Forecast/Asheville but you might need to wait closer to your travel date for more accurate forecasts on all the sites. The thing about the weather in the mountains is that it can be raining on one side of the mountain and sunny on the other side. Hard to believe the humidity got to you in May if you're from Alabama!! Was it that much worse?

Alabama
Level Contributor
191 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any good local sites/blogs/sources for weather info?

Humidity was particularly bad while we were there ... there was like afternoon rain every day from it, including one afternoon where it rained so hard for about 15 minutes you couldn't hardly see, and this huge lightning bolt struck very near Curate while we were dining there, lights flickered in restaurant for a second. It also was unexpected I guess, we timed our visit specifically for May to try to get good weather.

We were planning on doing Biltmore on Monday the 25th, the forecasts keep pinging back and forth between Sunday the 24th and Monday the 25th as the clearest day, as noted we're just trying to get the 7 days in advance tickets at Biltmore, that's the only concern. If it's raining the rest of the time, we'll pack our slickers and umbrellas and make the best of it.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any good local sites/blogs/sources for weather info?

I don't think you will get the accuracy that you want from a weather forecast. I've made plans so may times in the Spring for an outdoor activity--just a couple of days in advance--and some "front" moved in one day sooner or one day later than was forecasted. *Sigh*

4. Re: Any good local sites/blogs/sources for weather info?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2014, 04:17