We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help!!!Struggling with driving time BRP to Gatlinburg

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mount Maunganui...
Level Contributor
233 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Please Help!!!Struggling with driving time BRP to Gatlinburg

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help with this...

A friend and I will arrive into Asheville airport at 2200 on 12 August... Will stay in Asheville for the night.

Next day we would like to travel the BRP from Asheville to Cherokee (my understanding is that this is where the Blue ridge parkway ends>???) And then that afternoon we would like to travel from Cherokee to Gatlinburg to spend the night there...

on 14 August we would like to see a bit around Gatlinburg/Smokey Mountains area - and head to Nashville for an evening flight to Memphis.

This sounds crazy I know! But this is all the time we have...

Is this doable? Google maps tells me Gatlinburg to Nashville is a 3.5 hour drive...so easily done in a day.

And for our day before - Cherokee to Gatlinburg is 2 hours... and then... Google tells me Asheville to Cherokee is a 1 hour drive... However - I dont know that Google knows we want to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway for this route :)

Can anyone help please?

How can we get from Asheville to Gatlinburg via BRP in a day?

Thank you

Sylva, North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Help!!!Struggling with driving time BRP to Gatlinburg

Yes, you can definitely get from Asheville to Gatlinburg in a day via the Blue Ridge Parkway, and it will be an especially beautiful scenic drive! However, it will take longer than one hour to get from Asheville to Cherokee via the Blue Ridge Parkway. I would give it at least 2.5 -3 hours, especially if you plan to stop at one of the many overlooks along the way. The Blue Ridge Parkway ends in Cherokee, where you pick up Newfound Gap Road (U.S. 441) to travel through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park to Gatlinburg.

The portion from Cherokee to Gatlinburg is correct at 2 hours.

Mount Maunganui...
Level Contributor
233 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Help!!!Struggling with driving time BRP to Gatlinburg

Thanks INNsights - this is really helpful :)

Looking forward to experiencing it.

Regards,

Melissa

Atlanta
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Help!!!Struggling with driving time BRP to Gatlinburg

I agree 2 1/2 hours from Asheville to Cherokee and about 90 minutes from Cherokee to Gatlinburg.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Help!!!Struggling with driving time BRP to Gatlinburg

Keep in mind that highway 441 from Cherokee to Gatlinburg through the park is currently closed due to part of the road being washed away. I've heard they hope to have it open again by the end of May, but I would double check right before your trip just to be sure.

Mount Maunganui...
Level Contributor
233 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Help!!!Struggling with driving time BRP to Gatlinburg

Thank you kren.do u know if there is an alternative route to Gatlinburg if 441 is still closed? Thank you. :)

New York
Level Contributor
564 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Help!!!Struggling with driving time BRP to Gatlinburg

I understand that 441 is open some of the way north from Cherokee. Do you know how far up ?

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please Help!!!Struggling with driving time BRP to Gatlinburg

1) Allow at least 3 hours if you travel from Asheville to Cherokee on the BRP ...it is the highest, most scenic part of the Parkway and trafffic can be heavy in summer. Plus, you'll want to got out and look around at Graveyard Fields, WaterRock Knob, at least.

2)If you go to Gatlinburg, by any route, traffic around Gatlinburg in August is a nightmare between 9 AM and 11PM. You cannot get to Nashville from Gatlinburg in less than 4 hours.

3) If 441 is still closed near Newfound Gap , as an alternative route that skips Cherokee but will still get you to Gatlinburg, you can get off the BRP about half-way to Cherokee at Balsam Gap, between Sylva and Waynesville. Head north to I-40, take I-40 west across the NC/TN state line then take either US 321 or the Foothills Scenic Parkway west to Gatlinburg

8. Re: Please Help!!!Struggling with driving time BRP to Gatlinburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2014, 06:16