We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel stay for anniversary trip next week

grady,al
Level Contributor
304 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
hotel stay for anniversary trip next week

Last minute scheduling, do you recommend Haywood, Bohemian or Biltmore for our hotel stay? And is there enough to do in town for 3 days, or should we just stay a couple of nights? Thanks.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel stay for anniversary trip next week

What's your budget? What are your interests? Presumably you've done some research on Asheville, hence your decision to go there, but you don't say why you're going. Do you plan on spending much time relaxing around a hotel or mainly traveling, sightseeing? Do you plan on going to nearby areas, such as the blue Ridge Parkway, maybe Chimney Rock State Park, etc.? Are you going to go to stores, restaurants, bars, theater? We did take a 2-hour "trolley" tour of Asheville and enjoyed it. Need more info!

We enjoyed the Inn at the Biltmore Estates (I assume that's what you mean), including the peaceful surroundings but it is, of course, not cheap, and you have to drive if you want to see things in Asheville itself. Two nights, would presumably, mean just one full day in Asheville, but you don't say what time you expect to arrive the first day and depart the last.

Edited: 20 April 2013, 14:38
grady,al
Level Contributor
304 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel stay for anniversary trip next week

Sutter, thanks for the reply. We are driving, and have decided to stay for 4 nights. We will arrive at check in time the first night, and have booked the Haywood for 3 nights, changing to the Grove Park Inn for the fourth night. Plan on seeing everything we can, but read that Chimney Rock is closed right now due to a boulder hanging over the main road there. We are going to tour the Biltmore, antique shop, sample the restaurants, go to a museum or too, and hopefully hike a bit if CR reopens. Any can't miss things while we are there? The Inn at Biltmore was a bit pricey for us.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel stay for anniversary trip next week

I thought I read that just part of CR is closed. The visitor's center and cultural/arts center, both on Blue Ridge Parkway east of town, are worth visiting. We really enjoyed the Brevard area. Lots of nice walks and hikes in nearby Pisgah Forest (known for waterfalls), and several nice restaurants in Brevard. Brevard is in part famous for white squirrels, but we didn't see a one.

Robert Frost home, in Flat Rock (next to Hendersonville) is an interesting contrast to the Biltmore mansion. The Asheville "trolley" tour we took is available at a number of stops, including the Grove, I believe. Two different companies run tours.

Edited: 20 April 2013, 16:50
grady,al
Level Contributor
304 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel stay for anniversary trip next week

+Okay, we will definitely plan on a trolley tour. And thanks for the other info. How long did ya'll stay in the area? I was all over the area growing up on summer vacations, but we mostly camped and did white water kayaking, etc. Don't know why we never went to the Biltmore. The Grove Park Inn is doing renovations, so some restaurants will be closed on site until May. Bummer, we wanted to try the Sunset Terrace. Taking the laptop so that I can check on Chimney Rock when we arrive. I read it was closed on their website, but will check out further. Appreciate all the information!

atlanta
Level Contributor
63 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel stay for anniversary trip next week

I would second the trip to Carl Sandburg's home in Flat Rock and Hendersonville is a cute little town 5minutes from Flat Rock.

A different type of place to stay is the Bent Creek Inn where we have stayed several times. It is a B&B close by

Which is great.

I love Biltmore House ...be sure and get an ice cream cone!

Level Contributor
66 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel stay for anniversary trip next week

Actually once you get to Asheville there will be so much to do you will never want to leave. It's the perfect town for food, accommodations, downtown vibe, bookstores, rafting, art

galleries, The Biltmore House and all areas around it, Farmer's Market, shopping (block after block). I'd rethink Chimney Rock which is a bit touristy and pretty twisty to get there. Try Black Mt or its a pretty drive toward Weaverville and beyond if you must leave town.

Warrenton, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel stay for anniversary trip next week

As a note, Chimney Rock has now reopened. I check after seeing your post as we are planning a trip next month to Asheville. The website indicates it opened back up on April 20th. However, one of their trails is closed for maintenance and they have reduced admission prices given this fact.

grady,al
Level Contributor
304 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel stay for anniversary trip next week

We are at the Haywood Park right now, kicking ourselves for not booking more nights at the Grove Park Inn. We are having a great time, and hope to post a trip report when we return home. We drove up to Pisgah Inn today for lunch, what a neat drive up the Blue Ridge Parkway. Tomorrow we are planning to visit Chimney Rock, hate the waterfall trail is closed right now. I saw that also. Looks like it has been closed since November. Highlights have been the Biltmore, tulips are in bloom, and the BRP drive to an elevation of 5000 feet. We have eaten many great meals, walked all over downtown, and hope to continue to explore Asheville tomorrow and Friday.

Edited: 25 April 2013, 03:00
9. Re: hotel stay for anniversary trip next week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 07:18