We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can this be done in one day ???

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Carle Place, New...
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Topic
Can this be done in one day ???

We are trying to plan our days in the Asheville area.

Could we see Dupont State Forest in the morning - have lunch at Lake Lure - and then visit Chimney Mtn before returning to Asheville ?

Or is this way too ambitious ??

We are not big hikers - more into photos, nature and food.

Thank you.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
420 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can this be done in one day ???

You could, but it would be a 7am till 8pm kinda day really pushing yourself. You should spend one day exploring Dupont/Brevard area. There is lots to do. Lots of beautiful waterfalls, hiking, camping, fishing and Brevard is a cute little town.

Warner, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can this be done in one day ???

Yes this can be easily done. Lake Lure is very close to Chimney Rock, so I'd recommend an early morning at Dupont. I have to say I've not spent much time in Dupont, so I don't have anything to offer in that area. On the way north you'll find a lot of distractions along the way, especially in Hendersonville which is a worthwhile stop in itself and a good alternative lunch spot to Lake Lure. Either way, I'd make Chimney Rock an afternoon trip. The later you are up there, the better. The light is terrific for photography in the late afternoon. There is an elevator at Chimney Rock, so you don't have to worry about making the climb if you don't want to. However, I recommend hiking at least one direction if you have the time. There is a nice waterfall out to the west of the parking area that makes for a good hike and good photography too. After the hike, stop by Medina's for a coffee and the most spectacular cinnamon bun you've ever had. She makes a good dinner too if you are there that late.

Carle Place, New...
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can this be done in one day ???

Thanks Darryl,

I didn't think it would be too much to do.

We don't mind long days and like I said...we are not big hikers.

We were going to continue on to Charlotte that day for a possible dinner at the McNinch House.

Have you ever been ? Also, can you recommend somewhere to stay the night ? Doesn't have to be fancy...but clean.

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can this be done in one day ???

Be prepared to walk about 3.5 miles , about half of which is moderate grade, if you want to see Triple Falls or High Falls at DuPont State Forest. Shorter, mostly flat walks to Hooker Falls or to the pool and covered bridge at the top of High Falls, but you cant see any of the falls from the top. These hikes are on broad gravel trails or on gravel roads, but there is 30-40 minutes hiking each way, and you either start at the bottom of the trail at the Hooker Falls parking lot or from the upper end at the High Falls parking lot. There are bathroom facilities and drinking fountains at the upper parking area, which is a mile beyond the Hooker Falls parking area, on the same road.

Western North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can this be done in one day ???

Hi! It sounds like you have planned to enjoy the mountains!

DuPont Forest can be a short or long trip depending on how many waterfalls you would like to see. Hooker Falls is near the lower parking area and easily accessible.

Triple Falls is .25 mile and is a more strenuous hike. There are around 90 stairs down to the rocks and waterfall viewing area. It is worth the walk as the waterfall area is gorgeous! If you want to go onto Lake Lure/ Chimney Rock, I would recommend doing these two waterfalls.

Hwy 64 is the road between Brevard (DuPont Forest) and the Lake Lure/ Chimney Rock area. It is a 2 lane road for most of the trip.

Chimney Rock also has a waterfall. It is a level 1.5 mile walk. The Chimney Rock is a fairly strenuous hike or there is an elevator to the top. The hike is lovely and affords some beautiful views along the way!

Whatever you end up doing, I hope you enjoy your stay!!!

Warner, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can this be done in one day ???

I'm not sure how to not go fancy with a place to stay after dinner at the McNinch House :) Hotel wise, any of the uptown hotels are good. I like the Westin and the W. There are also some B&Bs in the area.

Florida
Level Contributor
102 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can this be done in one day ???

Is there more than one waterfall at Chimney Rock? On the website, it says that the trail to Hickory Nut Falls is closed until new trails are finished, no completion date given. We were debating Chimney Rock and Dupont until I saw the falls trail was closed at Chimney Rock.

Carle Place, New...
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Can this be done in one day ???

Thanks Julie....nice to get some positive suggestions !

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can this be done in one day ???

JMPINFLA, you are correct that the trail up Hickory Nut Falls is closed at Chimney Rock State Park for landslide repairs and upgrades. That is the only falls at Chimney Rock.

10. Re: Can this be done in one day ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 05:16