We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting next week - Advice on this itinerary please

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
104 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting next week - Advice on this itinerary please

We're excited to visit the area next week, but unsure about how the rainy weather will affect our activities. I realize that too much water on the river will prevent us from tubing, but will light rain still allow us to hike to the waterfalls?

We're a family of four, with two teenage girls who would love to shop for clothes at boutiques, staying in Hendersonville July 10 - 15.

We already bought tickets for the Biltmore house for Friday, so we have to go on that day. My kids and I will visit Biltmore House while hubby plays golf in Fletcher. Lunch will be at Biltmore, then dinner in downtown Asheville. Drum event on Friday evenings? Sounds like fun, but what is it exactly?

So we have Thu, Sat, and Sun to do the following:

Dupont forest (waterfalls, easy hikes), should we visit Brevard, pack a picnic and eat at the waterfalls?

Sliding rock - I remember doing this as a kid and would love for my kids to experience it

Chimney Rock, Lake Lure

tubing (French Broad river, or some other place closer to Hendersonville?)

downtown Hendersonville, Saluda, ??

I'd welcome any suggestions to restaurants, things to do, be-aware-of advice, things to pack, etc.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,678 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting next week - Advice on this itinerary please

Weather for next week looks better.

www.raysweather.com

Curate' and Lemone's are great restaurants. Reservations a must

Lexington Ave Brewery is good and casual,

If you are in Weaverville, go to the Wellbread Bakery for lunch and goodies.

Maryland
Level Contributor
316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting next week - Advice on this itinerary please

Drumming is loosely organized to Friday night in Pritchard Park. Picks up around 6 and goes on for hours. Its like open mic except open to percussion players, and watchers, and dancers and swooners and....you name it. You stay as long as you are enjoying the rhythm. For some it's 5 minutes, for others it's hours.

Pack raincoats ;). Since you like Sliding Rock (I do too) yes plan a picnic. Waterfalls in light rain ok. Watch your footing on slick trails. tubing or rafting may be off limits if too much rain.

Only thing I know to be aware of is maybe reservations at popular restaurants. I like Mela. It's Indian cuisine, on Lexington Ave.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting next week - Advice on this itinerary please

There is a street dance every Monday night in downtown Hendersonville. Lots of fun if you are going to be in town the evening of July 15.

DuPont State Forest is great. The hikes to the waterfalls are not difficult and the falls are lovely. If you are heading to Sliding Rock, you can also see Looking Glass Falls - it's on the same road (276). We've driven a 'loop' from Hendersonville - toward Asheville on 281, onto the Blue Ridge Parkway near the NC Arboretum, south on the Parkway (past Mt Pisgah and the Pisgah Inn), south on 276 towards Brevard (pass Sliding Rock and Looking Glass Falls - nice picnic spots along that route), then back to Hendersonville. You can also head a little further south on the Parkway to Graveyard Fields (south of the 276 turnoff) where there are two hikes to waterfalls. One of them has a swimming hole.

Canton, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting next week - Advice on this itinerary please

You may consider visiting sliding rock on the warmest day possible as the water is icy cold all year long! The excessive rain my change plans for tubing because the water is very high and dangerous. Hopefully it will dry up a little before next week....it should! As far as food, it's all great! Your girls will enjoy boutique shopping in downtown Hendersonville! Have a safe and fun trip!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
104 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting next week - Advice on this itinerary please

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I've heard that the water at sliding rock is very cold and the temperature won't be very high this week.

Does it get chilly enough in the evenings such that a sweater and long pants would make us more comfortable for sitting outside or walking around the downtown areas?

Bikes - We're thinking of riding bicycles at the Biltmore. I'm not sure I want to deal with bringing our bikes if that's all we can ride at. We don't want to ride on roads/cars and although the hubby and kids have mountain biked in Keystone, CO, they would rather take easy, and relatively flat trails. Are there trails near the Hendersonville area? I saw pictures of the trail to the waterfalls at Dupont forest, and they show people riding bikes there. Is that trail a fun and easy one?

BBQ - which restaurant do you recommend? Green River in Saluda or some place in Hendersonville?

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,678 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting next week - Advice on this itinerary please

FYI

With the great Bar B Que in Birmingham, I would not get too excited about NC Que. Different and in our opinion, does not measure up.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
104 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting next week - Advice on this itinerary please

LOL...Yes, we have pretty good BBQ in Bham. But hubby always like to try different versions. :)

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting next week - Advice on this itinerary please

Brevard is a must see, and Sliding Rock is also great. If you feel really energetic, hike to Turtleback falls. It's like Sliding Rock on steroids.

As far as tubing near Hendersonville, the Green River near Saluda is your best bet.

As far as BBQ, NC is known for BBQ and I don't know exactly why someone would say otherwise. Green River BBQ in Saluda and Flat Rock Wood Room in Hendersonville are the best around.

Chimney Rock and Lake Lure are good but Idk for teenagers. You can rent paddleboats and canoes there.

Plan your route in advance, I know a lot of areas that are still flooded and roads that are not accessible. I believe the DOT website will help with that. Let me know if there are any more questions!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting next week - Advice on this itinerary please

Turtleback Falls is on a lovely hike at Gorges State Park. There are two or three falls there - lovely scenery.

As far as BBQ is concerned, BigTrouty speaks the truth - NC is known for its BBQ. Most of the better known places are in the Piedmont or Eastern part of the state. Can't comment on the places in Saluda or Hendersonville since we head to Lexington when we want some of our favorite BBQ. Saluda and Hendersonville are lovely towns - some of the prettiest in the area. Enjoy your stay!

Maryland
Level Contributor
316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting next week - Advice on this itinerary please

I don't know anything about Birmingham barbecue, but people drive from miles around to get NC barbecue. East NC is more renowned, and I am not sure about Hendersonville offerings. It's all in the preference of the individual.