We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting next week - Advice on this itinerary please

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
104 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting next week - Advice on this itinerary please

We're excited to visit the area next week, but unsure about how the rainy weather will affect our activities. I realize that too much water on the river will prevent us from tubing, but will light rain still allow us to hike to the waterfalls?

We're a family of four, with two teenage girls who would love to shop for clothes at boutiques, staying in Hendersonville July 10 - 15.

We already bought tickets for the Biltmore house for Friday, so we have to go on that day. My kids and I will visit Biltmore House while hubby plays golf in Fletcher. Lunch will be at Biltmore, then dinner in downtown Asheville. Drum event on Friday evenings? Sounds like fun, but what is it exactly?

So we have Thu, Sat, and Sun to do the following:

Dupont forest (waterfalls, easy hikes), should we visit Brevard, pack a picnic and eat at the waterfalls?

Sliding rock - I remember doing this as a kid and would love for my kids to experience it

Chimney Rock, Lake Lure

tubing (French Broad river, or some other place closer to Hendersonville?)

downtown Hendersonville, Saluda, ??

I'd welcome any suggestions to restaurants, things to do, be-aware-of advice, things to pack, etc.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,577 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Visiting next week - Advice on this itinerary please

I did not mean to stir up comments on NC Bar B Que. If I offended anyone, I apologize. Compared to BBQ in certain areas of Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia, it lacks the "rich" taste of smoked/charred meat we are used to getting. The sauces have more vinegar and there is no mustard sauce, as found in South Carolina.

I guess if I had grown up eating BBQ from this area, I might have the same opinion about the others.

Just what we are used to and prefer.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Visiting next week - Advice on this itinerary please

No offense taken. People in NC have fierce arguments all the time about Lexington vs Eastern style BBQ. It's like Duke vs NCState vs UNC basketball - an enjoyable part of our culture! Fortunately, good eats are found everywhere.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Visiting next week - Advice on this itinerary please

queen, but anyone visiting Western NC isn't going to get vinegar based BBQ. You should know that being a destination expert for the NC Mountains ;)

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
104 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Visiting next week - Advice on this itinerary please

Well, we are home from our trip to the Hendersonville area. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and advice.

It was rainy for most of our trip, so we didn't get to do some planned activities. However, the one day of sunshine we had was wonderful because the kids and I toured the Biltmore Estate and hubby played golf.

So, instead of going to Chimney Rock, we walked around downtown Hendersonville, ate delicious sandwiches at the deli on Main, then went to Jump Off Rock in Laurel Park. It was cloudy so we didn't get a great view, but we enjoyed what we could see and did the short "hikes" around there. And, Jump Off Rock is free. :)

Instead of tubing, we ate lunch at the Flat Rock Wood Grill, then on a whim, called the Flat Rock Playhouse for tickets to their Les Mis matinee show. It wasn't sold out, so we got tickets and saw a FANTASTIC stage production of Les Miserables. Oh my goodness! Of course, my kids LOVED the show (they've been singing the songs since they saw the movie), and my husband and I were very impressed with the venue and performance. Turned out to be a great day!

15. Re: Visiting next week - Advice on this itinerary please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 07:19