We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asheville to Boone

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Asheville to Boone

We are dropping one kid in Asheville to go to UNCA, and then driving to Boone to check out ASU with our other "kid".

Any suggestions for route, or for good places to stop along the way? We don't have a ton of time, but we could spend a couple of extra hours on the way to Boone. I can't hike to far/hard, but a short hike, or some other place to stop would be nice. We don't really like crowds--standing at a vista with a large group of people doesn't sound so great....

Ideas? Thanks!

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asheville to Boone

The Blue Ridge Parkway is closed due to landslide issues about 5 miles north of Asheville to a point just south of Mt. Mitchell State Park. From Asheville, the easiest way to Boone is simply to stay on I 40 east to US 321 north through Lenoir, Blowing Rock, to Boone. A scenic option is to take I 40 to US 70 east at Old Fort to NC 80 , between Old Fort and Marion, then snake up NC 80 north to the Blue Ridge Parkway. You can back track just a bit to Mt. Mitchell, then take BRP north all the way to Boone, about 2 hours. There are easy short hikes at Julian Price Park and Cone Memorial Gardens , both near Blowing Rock. A third option is to drive I40 east to Marion, then take NC 226 north to the BRP at Little Switzerland, eat lunch on the veranda at Little Switzerland Inn, then head north on BRP to Boone. To avoid crowns, avoid the town of Blowing Rock, which has nice shopping and restaurants but can be a real tourist mecca, A fourth option, since you're already in the campus visit state of mind, is to arrange a visit to Warren Wilson College in Swannanoa, about 10 miles east of Asheville. A very nice, small campus.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Asheville to Boone

I like the I-40 to Old Fort route. It would take you 3-4 hours if you stopped and looked at the vistas. Highway 80 is a neat road too. Hope no one gets car sick in your group ha.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,973 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asheville to Boone

How about I-40 to Black Mountain, to 70, to 226 to 221 to 105?

Or I-26 to Mars Hill to 19E through Burnsville and Spruce Pine to 221 to 105?

Those are what google maps offers. I'd be inclined to do the second one myself. No big fan of I-40 and I always feel a little deflated coming down out of the mountains. You'd have to do that steep decline from Black Mt to Old Fort, wouldn't you?

Edited: 26 July 2013, 13:50
Irondale, Alabama
Level Contributor
1 post
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Asheville to Boone

I totally agree with panchopup about the I-26 to Mars hill route through Spruce Pine and Burnsville. Very scenic and a great road trip. Stop in lovely Linville ( where you pick up Hwy 105) for BBQ at the Old Hampton Store. You will definitely enjoy !!

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
388 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Asheville to Boone

I'm inclined to agree with Moganboat. Great advice all around! Also, if I am not mistaken, the route through Burnsville on 19 may still be under construction? Warren WIlson is DEFINITELY worth checking out. One of the prettiest sections, I think, of the Blue Ridge Parkway is through the Price Park, Cone Estate, and over the Lynn Cove Viaduct (check out the visitors center). Yepper, although Blowing Rock has charm, it is TOTALLY full of tourists (you will probably see your entire neighborhood there right now! LOL! ;) )now and hardly any parking. I would rather catch it in an off season time. Boone is a big mess as well. Check out Stick Boy Bakery and their breakfast lunch place downtown Boone, called Melanie's. Enjoy!

Maryland
Level Contributor
316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Asheville to Boone

I prefer the Mars Hill, Burnsville, Spruce Pine route if construction isn't an issue. Just a lot less touristy.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Asheville to Boone

Road construction is not too bad at this time along the MH, Burnsville, SP route. Some road work around Burnsville but nothing terrible.

8. Re: Asheville to Boone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 07:17