We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asheville during Christmas week ?

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Asheville during Christmas week ?

I am looking to plan our winter vacation. Ashvile has alays been our list of places to visit. Is thre anything much to do ad see there during Christmas week ? or should we delay for warmer weather ?

the prices look nice this time of year BUT.... at 45 degrees peak temperature, I want to make certain that we can really have a good time.

Please advise.

Thank you advace,

Allen

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
677 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Asheville during Christmas week ?

Hi Allen. Fellow native New Yorker here - moved down here 11 years ago.

I've got a mixed answer. Late spring is my favorite time of year here, so yes, that would be preferable. But absolutely, there is plenty to do here Christmas week and you can have a great time.

There is Christmas at the Biltmore Estate, with the huge tree and everything lit up. Or sitting by the fireplace with a drink at the beautiful Grove Park Inn. There's also plenty of very good restaurants, and of course a world-class beer scene so you could check out some of our great local breweries like Wicked Weed, The Wedge, Highland, Green Man, Burial, ect.

As for the outdoors, December can still be a great time - really depends. Could be 60 or could be snow. While the greenery here is beautiful, winter offers its own unique beauty with unobstructed views and the Blue Ridge Parkway will still be a gorgeous drive (minus some sections that could be closed in winter).

Bottom line: If given a choice, I'd choose May. But if Christmas week works better with your schedule, I say go for it. You'll still have a great time.

Enjoy

Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Asheville during Christmas week ?

I too will be in Asheville for the holidays! I've found that http://www.romanticasheville.com/holidays.htm is a very helpful page for ideas!

I plan to do the whole list. ;)

Maryland
Level Contributor
316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asheville during Christmas week ?

If it's on a long list and likely to be visited once, I would choose May or October. Those are premium times to experience the mountains. Better to choose something from your list that's on the southern coast that time of year, if you have options.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Asheville during Christmas week ?

The Biltmore House is fabulous at Christmas. Figure you will spend most of a day there. If you are AAA members there are discounts available. The restaurants on property are serviceable, but not really memorable. The wine store is interesting, but not fabulous. The gardens might still be showing some color.I agree with a previous poster, that the temperatures can vary dramatically. We regularly spend the holidays in the area and have seen huge spreads in weather. Just don't go out without a coat in the back seat. Asheville has a great arts district downtown for finding those last minute gifts. And, there is lots of great local beer available.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,057 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Asheville during Christmas week ?

As noted, Biltmore is nice but it's a one day activity. I agree that Asheville is best in late spring when there is lots of water and the trees are coming to life. The warming temps help with outdoor activities like river rafting, zip lines, hiking to waterfalls, etc. I suppose you could do any of those things in December too, but it will be cooler and not as lush and vibrant.

Downtown, River Arts, and the Grove Park Inn could take up another day, but then??? While there are a ton of great breweries, it might be difficult planning multiple days of a vacation around drinking. I would opt to visit in May or early June. More stuff going on in town too.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,807 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Asheville during Christmas week ?

We will be in Asheville for a few days (Dec 23-26) staying at the Cedar Crest Inn. Not visiting relatives, so will need dinners on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I have looked on the restaurant list some.... what's up with having a bakery, vegan place and a candy shop listed as the top 3 restaurants?? Can someone suggest upscale/fine dining that would be serving on 24th and 25th? I am gluten free, so that is a factor as well. Italian is usually out, unless they can serve gluten free pasta, which some do. Being from Charleston, we have some awesome restaurants.... hoping to find something great in Asheville as well. :-)

Also wondering.... does Grove Park still have the gingerbread houses at Christmas?

Edited: 16 October 2013, 17:37
Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
111 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Asheville during Christmas week ?

Spent last year up there and had a great holiday. We loved.... Absolutly loved the dining room at the Inn at Biltmore on Christmas Eve. My wife is gluten free as well and they were amazing! Food, service awesome and even brought her GF bread and a special desert! You'd need Biltmore tickets though (we did the Christmas tour). If you can go, you'll love it. Make reservations ASAP.

red stag in the grand bohemian will be open and they are good. Might be more limited on GF options but worth a look.

Also the restaurant at Aloft is good. I think also open at Christmas.

Grove park had the gingerbread display. We wanted to try the restaurant there but ran out of time.

Curate was not open on 24th or 25th last year but a great dinner idea for the 23rd. Great food, lively atmosphere and plenty of GF options.

Enjoy!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,807 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Asheville during Christmas week ?

Thanks for the info! I had looked at the website for Red Stag and that looked good, have been to the restaurant at Biltmore once before. (several years ago, before I had to go gluten free) We do have tickets, they come with our Christmas lodging package.

Did Biltmore serve from the menu or were there only limited options? I know sometimes to streamline on holidays, some places serve prix fixe or perhaps only 3 options rather than full menu.

Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
111 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Asheville during Christmas week ?

Biltmore had a Prix fixe offering and a selection of seasonal specials last year. Also offered some off-menu options to accommodate the GF :-)

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,807 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Asheville during Christmas week ?

Called Biltmore and unfortunately, they are taking reservations for Inn guests only. They will put you on a waiting list if you are not staying there. We are staying at the Cedar Crest Inn, which is lovely, but only serves breakfast.