We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Craggy Gardens substitute suggestions? Similar locations?

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Romeo, Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Craggy Gardens substitute suggestions? Similar locations?

Hello all!

I'm visiting family and having done all the main "things to do" on the Asheville list so I was super excited to find Craggy Gardens on there and could not wait to visit! I absolutely love the look of that area, 360 views and especially the Rhododendron covered paths (I've always had an obsession with tree covered paths, especially being an amateur photographer). It seem like something that I would LOVE so I'm really upset to find out its currently inaccessible.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other gems that are similar to Craggy Gardens? I'm here until Tuesday and I plan on visiting the Riverside Cemetery tomorrow morning. I've visited the Nature Center, Arboretum, Botanical Garden. I'm looking for something with in an hours distance. I'm not in amazing shape so hiking options are limited, I'm absolutely willing to try a harder hike though if it's worth the pay off. :)

With my interest in mind does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much for your time and any suggestions are appreciated!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Craggy Gardens substitute suggestions? Similar locations?

Max Patch Mountain. Do a google.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Craggy Gardens substitute suggestions? Similar locations?

Roan Mountain has some easy, relatively flat trails. I think it's more than an hour from Asheville, though. Lots of trails around here have rhododendron tunnels. The Graveyard Fields trail has one; it's closer to the trailhead if you go clockwise around the loop if you don't feel up to doing the whole thing. (It is a beautiful hike, though, should you want to try it. It's about 2 miles if you don't take the spur to the Upper Falls and just over 3 if you add the Upper Falls. hikewnc.info/besthikes/…graveyard-fields

Max Patch is gorgeous, too, with 360 degree views.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Craggy Gardens substitute suggestions? Similar locations?

Max Patch for sure.

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Craggy Gardens substitute suggestions? Similar locations?

Max Patch has the views. Graveyard Fields has similar trails in an open "park", with great views along the way.

There are several stretches of rhododendron "tunnels" on portions of the Mountains-to- Sea Trail that parallels the BRP near Asheville. My favorite is the section the lies north of where Wesley Gap Road crosses under the Parkway about 9 miles south of Asheville, near mile marker 402. You can pull off the Parkway to the south ( on your left if you're heading south, away from Asheville), turn back under the Parkway on Wesley Gap Road then there is a small parking area. If you head head south on MTS trail, back toward Asheville, you will be walking a very mild grade section that follows the north side of Shut In Ridge and much of it through "tunnels".

Romeo, Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Craggy Gardens substitute suggestions? Similar locations?

Thanks so much for the speedy responses!

I forgot to mention that I've visited Max Patch as well, absolutely loved it though. One of my favorite places I've ever been, so great suggestion!

Graveyard Fields seems to be a really good option, I'm thinking about visiting tomorrow morning. Some of the reviews I've read suggest that the upper falls is a more serious hike but I heard that the lower falls have a swimming hole of sorts? Any info on that? Also should I be worried about exploring this area alone in the morning? I know there are quite a lot of bear around.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Craggy Gardens substitute suggestions? Similar locations?

Unless you go to Graveyard Fields at daybreak, you probably won't be alone there. It's a popular spot. The hike to the Upper Falls is described as moderate, and that would be an accurate description. The lower falls are much closer to the parking area and are visited by people who love basking in the sun and/or swimming in the swimming hole. We visited both falls in one day - definitely worth a look.

Romeo, Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Craggy Gardens substitute suggestions? Similar locations?

That sounds great! I'm definitely heading over tomorrow for a swim. Thanks for the information!

If there's anything else that anyone could suggest to check out while I'm in the area I'm still open to suggestions!

Thanks again!

conn
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Craggy Gardens substitute suggestions? Similar locations?

Devels Courthouse makes a great easy hike great views from a rocky sumet

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Craggy Gardens substitute suggestions? Similar locations?

Looks like the Parkway has opened back up today:

http://wlos.com/shared/news/features/top-stories/stories/wlos_parkway-bypass-opens-12958.shtml?app_data={%22pi%22%3A%22521bd464df0a5c3972000029%22%2C%22pt%22%3A%22wall%22}

10. Re: Craggy Gardens substitute suggestions? Similar locations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 05:18