We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

asheville the week of oct 18

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Warminster...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
asheville the week of oct 18

My mom , sister , and I will be going to see my daughter in asheville during oct. Daughter just moved down there and just works. she works at the biltmore so it is on our to do list. It sounds like only the biltmore is there. Is there anything else to see. Mom is pushing 80 and doesnt like hiking. I like histourical houses. I want to be busy a couple of days sightseeing. I would not maybe mind driving like an hour or two for something neat historical like. I am not to much into art but my mom is a craft type person, so that kind of stuff would be nice. How about anything in the neighboring tennesse area. Your help is appreciated as I fear sitting in the hotel for a couple of days. thanks

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
375 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: asheville the week of oct 18

Nope. The area is full of history, great architecture, art, music, food, and scenery. Not just the Biltmore house. Yes, you should see it. FYI - lots of walking though. Maybe you should check out our visitors website - http://www.exploreasheville.com/

So, you are coming in the peak of our fall (leaf peeping time). It's like visiting Vermont in the Fall. So, hope you already have a place to stay. If not, you better get on it! Must make reservations!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: asheville the week of oct 18

They have a nice tour of the Thomas Wolfe house in Asheville. That was in Jan. of 2011. I don't know if they still have it. You could also tour the Carl Sandberg home and grounds in Hendersonville.

A drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway is a must in October. As stated above October is a very busy month.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
420 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: asheville the week of oct 18

She might like the Folk Art Center and the Destination Center on the Parkway. Head downtown and tour the Basilica, explore the Grove Arcade, walk down to Woolworth Walk for lunch at the diner inside the gallery. Take a tour of the Grove Park Inn. Those are fun, nostalgic experiences. The Biltmore Estate can take a fair amount of time to explore. They have a winery with wine tasting after the self-guided tour there, so hey have some wine and enjoy the scenery there!

Warminster...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: asheville the week of oct 18

Thank you for your reply

Warminster...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: asheville the week of oct 18

thanks for your help

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,196 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: asheville the week of oct 18

You could drive 2 hours and visit the charming village of Blowing Rock. Quaint shops, beautiful scenery and good dining choices.

Also, visit Weaverville and have lunch at the Well Bread Bakery.

romanticasheville.com

www.mastgeneralstore.com

www.southernhighlandguild.org

www.visitboonenc.com

www.mountainsofnc.com

www.blowingrock.com

http://www.ourstate.com/app

www.blueridgeparkway.org

Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
111 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: asheville the week of oct 18

I'd agree with Queeni and the Boone/ Blowing Rock area. One of our favorite spots with something great in every season. Check out romanticasheville.com for great sights, waterfalls, etc.

probably an infinite number of options for places to stay, but I've used these with some great experiences:

Blueridgerentals.com (we bring our dog and love a private home)

Carolinamtn.com

Chetola is a beautiful community in Blowing Rock that is right off the blue ridge parkway.

Lots of options and it's a great time of year to visit that area of the country.

Let us know how your plans are coming along!

Warminster...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: asheville the week of oct 18

Thank you Queeni and Ready, So many things to do hopefully. Lodging ha ha. Gonna try and look at hotels tommorow through priceline , expedia or one of them. I think I saw howard johnsons. I am sure its not wonderful but we need reasonable 75 - 110 a night. If worse comes to worse my daughter might take us in. Thanks for all the links to the sites. The mountains look beautiful and I am sure they are gorgous in October. I remember the drive back in may on I26 i think.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: asheville the week of oct 18

Thomas Wolfe House in downtown Asheville is a must. It's very fascinating. The Smith McDowell house museum is near Biltmore. Downtown Asheville has wonderful historic architecture - with many great art galleries to explore. Don't miss the Grove Arcade. Cherokee has a great Museum of the Cherokee Indian. The Folk Art Center is another must stop. In downtown Asheville on Oct 17-20 is the AMAZING Craft Fair of the Southern Highlands with juried artists from the South. Amazing art and meet all the artists.

Warminster...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: asheville the week of oct 18

Just wanted to thank everyone who tried to help. Trip was a success. The best part was just seeing my daughter. The biltmore was awesome. the drive to north carolina from pa was a real long one. thanks again