We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Ridge Parkway in a Day?

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MA
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Ridge Parkway in a Day?

We are travelling from Florida to Massachusetts the middle of October. We thought we would try and detour and take the Blue Ridge Parkway. Are we crazy trying to drove from Asheville to the end in a day? I need to be in Mass for business so we do not have a lot of time. Is this too ambitious? We figured we would stay in Asheville the night before and get an ear;y start and stay somewhere near the end of the BRP at the end of the day.

Any tips?

Also any suggestions for pet friendly hotels on either end?

Thanks,

Kevin

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
379 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway in a Day?

So, I am guessing that you are going to head north? So, that will be about 400 miles on a scenic highway during the peak times of tourism. The speed limit is 45 and 35 mph. You will also get behind someone going 20 mph for a while and not be able to pass. SO, from Asheville to Boone, for example, could take you 4 hours. It is a very pretty section though. I think it is a bit ambitious if you have to be somewhere. Plus, you must have reservations at this time of the year for lodging. Don't expect to just drive up to some place and get a room, especially near the Blue Ridge Parkway.

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
632 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway in a Day?

One person's thoughts- If you are considering only the BRP and not the BRP and the Skyland Drive which takes up where the BRP ends, then you could do it in a long day IF it is not a heavy traffic day such as October or a weekend.

I am also thinking that you intend to enter the BRP in Asheville and not at Cherokee where it starts or ends.

The weather could be a factor as well. All that said, knowing these limitations and with a perfect day, it still will be a very long day of travel and you really will not be able to stop to really enjoy what makes the BRP special.

The speed limit of 45 is enforced and not available in all places. This is a road that you should take your time on or it will possibly ruin the trip for you and perhaps other travelers as well.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,379 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway in a Day?

You know, you can drive some of the parkway and then leave it for the faster roadways.

This would allow you have the best of both for your timing and BRP experience.

Suggestions for lodging would depend on what you do. Like already stated, it is high season and you will have to get a plan in order.

http://www.highcountryoutdoors.com

www.blueridgeparkway.org

www.mountainsofnc.com

Maryland
Level Contributor
316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway in a Day?

My opinion is it's too much. You could drive I-81 or US 29 and see lots of mountains in fall color without the 2-lane 45mph limitations.

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway in a Day?

G00se.

If you are coming from the Atlantic side of Florida, up I-95, yes you are crazy ...there is no way of doing it without a lot of detouring, which will make you try to hurry on the BRP , which is an oxymoron.

If you are coming from the Gulf side of Florida, you can come up 1-75 from Tampa or Tallahassee all the way to just south of Atlanta , get onto the I-285 bypass around the SE side of Atlanta, take I-85 a short distance to I-985 which turns into US 441 through Rabun Gap, Georgia to Franklin, NC, then continue on 441-23 to Dillsboro then 441-74 west a few miles to Cherokee,NC where you get on the BRP at the southern terminus and head north on the BRP to Asheville....that will be about 3 hours on the BRP and includes the highest and most scenic parts and views on the BRP. Get off the BRP at Bent Creek/ NC Arboretum, NC 191 in Asheville, head north on NC 191 4 miles to I-26 then head WEST on I-26 ( you'll actually be heading north) through Asheville and all the way to Johnson City, TN where you get on I-81 North. Follow I-81 through the highlands of western Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley all the way to Washington DC, get on I-95 and heads to Massachusetts. That would give you a very scenic route all the way from suburban Atlanta to Winchester, Virgina but requires only an acceptable diversion from the direct route and only a short stretch at 35 mph.

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway in a Day?

P.S. As noted above, weather can be a factor..fog at 5000 feet can be impenetrable on what seems like a sunny day at 1500 feet. The good part of the route I describe above is that if it is foggy or rainy, skip the BRP and just follow 23-74 East from Dillsboro,NC all the way to Asheville..still a VERY scenic drive, especially in fall, ..it just tops out at 3000 feet

7. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway in a Day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 05:19