We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Asheville , suggestions required!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Asheville , suggestions required!!

Hi,

We will be in Asheville on 17th&18th Nov for our Wedding Anniversary. We have planed an overnight stay in Lion and Rose B&B after an extensive research , also i have booked ticket for Biltmore candlelight evening with a next day upgrade. We will be starting from Atlanta at 6.30am on17th and we plan to reach there by 10am, please provide route options from Atlanta as it will be my first road trip in US. After reaching there we have 6 hrs to visit city/Blue ridge, Please suggest best options/attractions for this time. Also i have another question that is whether the Biltmore HOUSE tour be included in the candlelight evening ticket(4.45pm entry) or i have to come back next day with the upgraded ticket for it. Suggestions for Biltmore visit are also welcomed.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Brasstown, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Asheville , suggestions required!!

There are three good routes from Atlanta to Asheville. The senic route takes quite a bit longer but its pretty. Take 85 to 585 to Helen. Be sure to turn right at the intersection in Columbus just before the Ingles so you go through downtown Helen rather than the far more challenging driving over Brasstown Bald. Once you're past Helen, stay on the road to the T intersection. At the T, turn right until you get to 441, then turn left and follow it through Franklin to 74. Take 74 to I 40 follow the signs into Asheville.

The easiest route is to take I 75 north to Knoxville then take I 40 east into Asheville.

A compromise would be to take I 75 to Chattanooga then take 74 through the Ochoee gorge, Murphy, the Natahala gorge, to I 40 and follow the signs into Asheville. Both gorges are really beautiful and it's not a lot longer than the interstate.

I can't answer about Biltmore policies, but there is a beautiful arboritum in West Asheville and downtown Asheville is a lot if fun. Biltmore village is a nice place ti psrk you car and wander. If you're not tired of driving, there is entry to tke Blue ridge parkway.

Best of luck, enjoy your aanniversary.

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Asheville , suggestions required!!

1) The fastest route is I-85 North all the way to US 25 / White Horse Road exit on the west side of Greenville,SC, follow US 25 around the western perimeter of Greenville and then north all the way to I-26 at Hendersonville, NC, follow I-26 WEST to Asheville. If you leave at 6:30 AM, total travel time 3 hours from downtown Atlanta. 2) Slightly longer but easier to follow at 65-70 mph is I-85N all the way to I-26 West at Spartanburg, SC. 3) Slighlty shorter , more scenic but a bit slower overall ( due to 2 lane road with 55 mph speed limit) is take I-85 North , SC Exit 1, (as soon as you cross over Lake Hartwell into SC) SC Hwy 11. Go east on SC 11 all the way to US 25...you'll hit US 25 20 miles north of Greenville, SC> take US 25 north to I-26 West as above. Also scenic but less so now that leaves are offf the trees is I-585- US 441 through Rabun Gap, GA , to Franklin, NC then follow NC 23 to US 74 to I-40 East to Asheville.

There are lots of shops, restaurants , galleries, etc., in Biltmore Village, a small concentration of businesses just outside the entrance to Biltmore Estate. Wear layers of clothes and comfortable shoes to your tour as you will be both indoors and out and the floors in the house and other buildings are not carpeted and you will want to walk about the grounds. Even though the gardens will be reduced to winter cabbages and pansies, the Conservatory ( an elaborate greenhouse) is open and a delight to visit in winter. Rent "Being There" with Peter Sellers and watch it before you come , as it will give you a great preview of the Biltmore House , etc.

Maryland
Level Contributor
316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Asheville , suggestions required!!

I absolutely would not take I75 to I40 East if this is your first road trip in the US. That drive from Knoxville to Asheville on I40 East is wicked with trucks, traffic, steep grades and sharp curves, not to mention very high elevations around Harmon Den, where fog could be freezing on the roadways at that time of year. I go to Asheville a lot and I avoid that section of the roadway if at all possible. Any of the other routes would be preferable.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Asheville , suggestions required!!

I always suggest the I-85 to I-985 to US 441/23 route between Asheville and Atlanta. It's very scenic, takes about the same time as the I-85 to I-26 route, and you avoid the stress of high-traffic interstate driving. I wouldn't suggest the Helen, GA route as it's quite a bit out of the way, unless you particularly want to visit that part of Georgia.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
420 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Asheville , suggestions required!!

I completely agree that this is the best route to take as suggested by Arbyunc. 3hrs and 20min from Atlanta to Asheville via this route.

The house tour is included with your candlelight experience. I would consider dinner afterwards at the Corner Kitchen in the Biltmore Village. Make a reservation. The Village is nice to explore.

Good choice on the Lion & Rose. You will find some lovely B&Bs in the historic Montford neighborhood where you'll be staying.

What else are you interested in? Downtown is very diverse.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Asheville , suggestions required!!

Thanks a lot everyone. We would take the I-85 to I-985 to US 441/23 route between Asheville and Atlanta.

We are there for a romantic weekend getaway, now i am planning to add Saturday to my trip..maybe we can visit Grandfather mountain or blue ridge parkway before visiting Biltmore on Sunday and Monday.Any suggestion for attractions near Asheville at tis tym of d year?

Thanks!!

7. Re: First time in Asheville , suggestions required!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 06:21