We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time allowance for BRP stops

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Topic
Time allowance for BRP stops

Trying to figure out how much we can fit in in one day from Boone to Asheville on the BRP. How much time do we need to allow for each:

Grandfather Mt-bridge, hiking?

Linville Falls-hiking?

Crabtree Falls-hiking?

Mt Mitchell-Deep Gap Trail?

Craggy Pinnacle Hike?

Visitor Center?

Any other stops?

Edited: 08 June 2014, 20:36
Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time allowance for BRP stops

Boone to Asheville is 2.5 -3 hours driving time on BRP, depending on traffic and whether it is foggy at high elevation, I think you've got 1 or 2 too many hikes planned. Grandfather Mountain is 30 minutes of driving off the BRP, each way. Linville Falls, Mt. Mitchell and Crabtree Falls are each shorter drive times off the Parkway. One of my favorite hikes is on the Mountains to Sea Trail, which parallels the Parkway south of Craggy Visitors Center, starting at Potato Field Gap, just south of Craggy Picnic area, Park in the small pull-off on the west side of the BRP roadway and hike south about 25 minutes (almost all gently uphill) to Lane Pinnacle then turn around and come back...great views, along the way, beautiful area, no crowds.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 21:08
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,046 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time allowance for BRP stops

Grandfather Mountain is one mile south of the parkway, certainly not 30 minutes unless you're walking.

grandfather.com/plan-your-visit/getting-here/ "The entrance to Grandfather Mountain is located on U.S. 221, two miles north of Linville, North Carolina, and one mile south of the Blue Ridge Parkway at Milepost 305."

As for how much time you should allow, it really depends on what you want to do. You say Grandfather Mt, bridge, hiking. There are 11 different trails on Grandfather. If you just want to cross the bridge and buy a trinket in the gift shop, you could probably do that in 30 minutes, but you'd miss the museum and animal habitats. If you want to hike to the peak you'd need to allow about 5 hrs.

Linville Falls could probably be done nicely in 1.5 hrs if you're going to the overlook. If you're going to the base you might allow a little more time maybe 2 to 2.5hrs.

There are tons of other hikes and many, many overlooks on the BRP between Asheville and Blowing Rock. Research what you want to do and use that as your guide for time.

The RomanticAsheville website has a good overview of the many different stops you can make and details some of the great hikes along the way. romanticasheville.com/BlueRidgeParkway.htm

Edited: 08 June 2014, 22:41
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time allowance for BRP stops

Mt Mitchell State Park is about 4 miles off the BRP. The trailhead for the Deep Gap Trail is at the parking lot summit. How long to allow?? If you want to hike all the way to Deep Gap, I'd suggest you allow half a day and do it in the AM (avoiding possible thunderstorms in the PM). You can hike to Mt Craig (nearest peak to Mt Mitchell) and back in an hour or so. Great views, good trail. Not many hikers. Enjoy!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time allowance for BRP stops

There are some nice overlooks and Beacon Heights trail, very near the turnoff to US 221 and Grandfather is less than a mile round trip and offers one of the most spectacular views.

Grandfather and Linville Falls are both not to be missed but I would only try to do one or the other in one day.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,046 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time allowance for BRP stops

Just saw this nice overview of the Blue Ridge Parkway from ExploreAsheville.com. Might be of help.

www.exploreasheville.com/blue-ridge-parkway/

Lumberton, North...
Level Contributor
105 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time allowance for BRP stops

I'd do Rough Ridge Trail on the Parkway at milepost 302.8 beautiful views and trail not to long or strenuous.

Crabtree Falls are very scenic and I would not miss if you can fit the time in. About a 3 mile hike or so round trip iirc. Trail pretty tough though.

www.romanticasheville.com/rough_ridge.htm

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,046 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time allowance for BRP stops

I loved Rough Ridge when we did it last summer, but it actually was pretty rough then. There had been a lot of rain and the trail was pretty washed out with lots of roots and rocks exposed. My mother-in-law, who is a pretty fit 73, was about to kill me for suggesting it. Once we got to the boardwalk areas (a long ways in) she was happier. We opted not to go on because that was about all she could take. My kids could have gone on a long way. Great, very popular hike, but just wanted to chime in that it can be tricky depending on the trail conditions.

Linville Falls was a much easier hike the last time I did it with most of it paved or level. Just the last little bit is a climb up to the overlooks and if someone can't make it to the last overlook they can stay at the first one or two.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 16:26
8. Re: Time allowance for BRP stops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 05:16