We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must Do and Restaurants

Clarksville...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Must Do and Restaurants

We are coming for a quick visit, two days, in July. One day we are planning on touring the Biltmore. My question is: How long does the Biltmore tour take? Should we set aside the whole day for this? What are the must do activities when visiting Asheville? Are the trolley tours worth it? Restaurant recommendations are also greatly appreciated. Best breakfast, lunch, and dinner spot? Thanks!

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must Do and Restaurants

Regarding the Biltmore, it all depends on how much you want to take in. You can get through it in 2-3 hours if you want to speed through, or you can take all day to leisurely tour the house, gardens, surrounding grounds, winery, etc. I think it would be reasonable to plan on about 4 hours, and have other flexible activities planned in case you find you want to spend more or less time there.

I haven't done the trolley tour, but I've heard many people say it's lots of fun. But Asheville is a very walkable town, and for me I much prefer to spend my time on foot so I can explore all the neat little shops, bars, etc.

There are so many great restaurants that it's hard to recommend just a few, especially without knowing your budget and preferences. Search this forum for "restaurants", look at the Tripadvisor restaurant reviews, and make a list based on what you like. I can say that I've rarely had a bad meal in Asheville, so you likely won't be disappointed if you choose places that have good reviews. A few of my favorites are Zambra, Mela, Early Girl, Sunny Point, Jack of the Wood, Barley's, and Farmburger, but there are so many other great choices.

Just my opinion--take it for what it's worth. :)

Edited: 20 June 2014, 13:31
Level Contributor
216 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must Do and Restaurants

If you want some memorable places to eat:

12 Bones (BBQ) - The president's favorite place. Been there twice. Eaten there twice.

Grove Park Inn ($$$$) - but an awesome place to just walk around. Food is expensive but the view is something special.

Any one of the zillion local breweries. Don't have to eat there but stop and sample real beers (i.e. not megabeer).

Waynesville,NC
Level Contributor
355 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must Do and Restaurants

Take some time to enjoy the Blue Ridge Parkway- the section from Asheville to Waynesville, NC is spectacular!

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
7 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must Do and Restaurants

Downtown Asheville is a must of course. Salsa's is terrific. Curate is fantastic for tapas, a bit pricey but well worth it, a world renowned restaurant. While downtown, hit up Barley's to get a great taste of almost all our local brews. Downtown also has some great buskers(musicians that play on the street).

I would highly recommend LaZoom for a tour. Not your average city trolley tour, LaZoom is a comedy tour through Asheville, really well done and you can bring your own drinks, adult or otherwise.

Some out of the way places to hit are The Bywater, a small little bar on the river (you can tube to it) with a great open mic on Monday nights. You can also cook out there. The Wedge in the River Arts District is a local favorite of the local breweries. Sit outside and take in the River Arts District.

Go east and hit up a little dive bar called The Root Bar. Here you can play rootball, a cross between horseshoes and volleyball and an Asheville original. Super friendly people always willing to show a newbie how to play the game.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,831 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must Do and Restaurants

For dinner, we love Curate and Lemone's. Advance reservations are a must. For lunch or casual dinner, we like Lexington Avenue Pub and for desert, you have to go The French Broad Chocolate Lounge.

If you are in the Biltmore Village area, Well-Bred Bakery and Cafe has recently opened. SO good for breakfast or lunch.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 01:05
Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Must Do and Restaurants

There are a ton of quality restaurants in Asheville, some of which have already been mentioned.

If you want to venture out of town a few minutes, try the Stoney Knob Cafe. It's a Weaverville address, but is near the border with North Asheville.

http://www.stoneyknobcafe.com/

Mamou, Louisiana
Level Contributor
28 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must Do and Restaurants

Count on 4 hours at the Biltmore. The gardens were spectacular when we visited.

Dinner at the Grove Park Inn was fabulous, but costly. Beautiful views at sunset.

Driving the Blue Ridge Parkway was a treat, as the views were spectacular.

Lazoom tour was fun.

We really enjoyed our stay last year.

8. Re: Must Do and Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 06:17